Mushkin Essentials DDR4 Memory Will Do The Job (Without Style Points)

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I long for high performance RAM that doesn't include all the crap like LED's, "designer" heat sinks, etc etc...

All I want is a few sticks of RAM that are gonna kickas... Not carry on some fad...

It sits inside my case, why in the world would I need LED's for???

Frickin kids these days...

>_>

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Mema, ya mean you don't want NASCAR logo'ing possibilities as you drive RAM sticks around the track?!!

(One day, someone's gonna slip you a USB shrink-ray stick and you'll be teleported inside your case. You'll end up like Grant Williams, battling kitty-cats and spiders with pins and needles, only to get sucked into all the various fans! THEN you'll be sorry you don't have LEDs, lighting your way!!)

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Heatsinks aren't needed on modern RAM sticks anyways. The only point of ever having them is if you intend to break a memory record with increasing voltages. Or if you like to overclock your older DDR/2 modules. FB-DIMMs can run pretty hot, but no one should really be running those anymore.

Companies started throwing them on the sticks for "style points" as the article roughly stated. Although I have to say, RAM sticks are rather boring to look at.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Heatsinks aren't needed on modern RAM sticks anyways...
Neither is water cooling, colored cases/windows/accessories or fan controllers, yet people still buy them because they are cool. I didn't buy a sweet Corsair case or a ROG mobo with matching RipJaws in them because they were affordable, I bought them because they look freakin sweet through my case window. If you're the kind of person who likes boring bare minimum components, you're probably on the wrong site...

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Heat sinks arnt as impotent on ram as they where with DDR or DDR2 when they used to need active cooling to add another 200mhz or lower the timing. Now it only accounts for 50mhz from bear to active cooling. Kind of like the new i7 CPU, youll only get 100 to maybe 200mhz from a good $30 cooler to a dual fan liquid cooler (prime95 stable)

G

I get the feeling ram manufacturers jacked up the prices of DDR3 memory in order to justify high DDR4 prices.

Last kit I bought was 32 GB from Mushkin. DDR3 @ 1600 MHz for 132$, 2-3 years ago. SAME kit now goes for 330$ on the same place I bought.

With computers, you expect to either get similar performance for a better price, or better performance for a similar price point, as time goes by.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Heatsinks aren't needed on modern RAM sticks anyways. The only point of ever having them is if you intend to break a memory record with increasing voltages. Or if you like to overclock your older DDR/2 modules. FB-DIMMs can run pretty hot, but no one should really be running those anymore.

Companies started throwing them on the sticks for "style points" as the article roughly stated. Although I have to say, RAM sticks are rather boring to look at.

if the ram had a better thermal conductive thing on it to really make it spread the heat better than sure... but its style points really... some looks nice but whatever. i hate window cases and leds sense my computer is on 24/7 in my bedroom and i have trouble sleeping in non pitch black rooms.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Mema, ya mean you don't want NASCAR logo'ing possibilities as you drive RAM sticks around the track?!!

(One day, someone's gonna slip you a USB shrink-ray stick and you'll be teleported inside your case. You'll end up like Grant Williams, battling kitty-cats and spiders with pins and needles, only to get sucked into all the various fans! THEN you'll be sorry you don't have LEDs, lighting your way!!)

Thanks for the laugh, buddy.

"...only to get sucked into all the various fans!"

You know the NASCAR rigged-out uber machine will have a dozen fans to cool a single hard drive too. Oh the horror!

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
UT, but just THINK of all the dazzling fan-pattern paint jobs they can come up with! Pretty soon, if they don't install 50.cal turrets on NASCARs, they might install some kind of blinding-lights or hypno-fan beams. "Yer gittin' sleepy... vewy sweepy..."
th_swirl.gif
As I've seen the aero cases evolve, I'm just certain all of those get better miles-to-the-gallon, too - right? I mean, why else streamline those corners if you're not gonna speed down the freeway or the Brickyard. vroom!!

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
"so is watercooling"

sorry, if you can keep an 8 core i7 and 3-4 titans cool in a water loop, thats impressive.. and people do it. Those same people run ram with "ricer heatsinks" too.

Once the prices settle, all the fast kits will have heatsinks whether they need them or not, and I dont mind that.

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
yes i plan on getting a new machine,my currant one is almost 4 years old x58 motherboard, while it is working fine,time to start looking for a new one, plan on building in april 2015 with tax refund,so hopefully by then memory will be cheaper and the MBs will have been fixed of any defects(even new ones)

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

Yes, master. Sleepy...I will use my PC for your bidding..." HA!

I am more of an LED guy. Give my shining, flashy lights and I am like a fly circling an outdoor bug zapper. Yeah, they need to ship these sticks with the heatsynchs removed so you can add later, or other customized options.

Status
Not open for further replies.