Mushkin Goes For The SSD Trifecta At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
As long as it's done with reliability in mind, I don't care about high performance in big size SSD's. Maybe they should focus on that part of the market, drive the price down in archival SSD's.

Sadly making an SSD with 250MB/s max cost the same as one saturating the sata 3 bus (nand prices).

Lutfij

Titan
Now that is a brand I haven't heard from in a long while. Its good to know Mushkin is still trying to up its game and beating competitors in the price arena. I do have one gripe with that brand though - they make stellar ram kits in terms of aesthetics but their SSD's could use an overhaul in design.

Tim_12

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
"Sadly making an SSD with 250MB/s max cost the same as one saturating the sata 3 bus (nand prices). "

I used to think that too, that NAND was all the same and it really came down to the controller, how many channels it has access to the NAND through, caching algorithm's, etc.

But NAND, especially TLC, is heavily binned for performance. That's why you see such a vast performance difference with TLC drives that all use the same Silicon Motion controller. MLC was and still is binned for to separate performance drives from economy drives, and that's why you see so many MLC drives selling at TLC drive prices. And in those cases, you are always better off with even a lower-binned MLC drive than a highly binned TLC drive because MLC will always outlast TLC, and no matter how aggressive the controller firmware is (SLC caching, DRAM cached indirection table, 8 channel interface, etc) TLC will always have poor write performance compared to MLC. Always.

Status
Not open for further replies.