Mushkin Packs Four SandForce Controllers into a PCIe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Well, the MSI GT60-2od and MSI GT70-2od laptops can have 3 mSATA SSDs in RAID 0 for over 1200MB/s read and write speeds.

So in other words I'd like to see a manufacture pack 2+ controllers in RAID into a 2.5" SATA 3 drive for really good 4K speeds to finally maximize the SATA 3 interface in all scenarios except 4K @ queue depth of 1-2.

But maybe due to costs we and lack of enthusiasm, we won't see this until SATA 4?

halcyon

Splendid
It would begin something like this, "I. See. See honey. See honey, I need this...in well.... In the largest capacity. It's an investment. I'll be so much more productive that it'll pay for itself. ...and...."

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I still would like to know what the 480gb would cost. But then again I'm cringing enough at the thought of spending ~$400 for a regular SSD one that size now

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Looking at the bottom of the card, it looks like there are just 4 slots for mSATA SSD's. My guess is Mushkin uses a PCIe 4x to 4x SATA controller and then just attaches 4 of their Atlas mSATA SSD's (which run on the SandForce controller mentioned). They would then just run all 4 drives in a RAID-0 using the PCIe to SATA controller. If this is true, I wonder if it's possible to buy this card without the mSATA drives and just attach whichever drives you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.