Mushkin's ECO2 SSDs Bring Fast Storage To Small Budgets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! If the performance is even halfway on par with the Crucial MX100 I know what I'm upgrading my system with. I'm only using 290gb's out of my 640gb so I'll just opt for the 480gb model and use an SSD as my only drive. Was planning the standard 240/256gb SSD and 1TB HDD route before this though.

G

What's the endurance? Price is great, but endurance is important.

eesanchezr79

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
I really hope they hace solved their reliability problems, I has a 120 gb Chronos a few years back and it only lasted 6 months and my pc kept hanging up until I replaced it forma another brand... Go to any forum and check about the reliability and you'll find out why they come so cheap...

Now all we need is a good review of these units (pro and reputable source) for the clincher. Was thinking a 256GB SSD for a new build supported with a 4TB HDD (developer ideas) but perhaps might reconsider in light of this.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
with the 500GB Samsung 850 EVO being $190 right now on Amzon... I am not sure the $160 for a budget SSD is a good enough savings to take the hit on reliability and speed.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
The SF-2200 isn't a bad controller and it allows them wring better performance out of cheap NAND. I like to see anything that brings out SSD prices. I'm just waiting until I can get a 1tb or similar drive for < $200. Don't laugh, it will be sooner rather than later.

chrpai

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone know why the stated IOPS on the 480GB (32K) would be so much lower then the other models? (85K range). I'm used to the smaller drives being the slower drives.

alextheblue

Distinguished
with the 500GB Samsung 850 EVO being $190 right now on Amzon... I am not sure the $160 for a budget SSD is a good enough savings to take the hit on reliability and speed.
I just checked Amazon and it's just a hair under $200 right now. Granted I own an 850 Evo and I think it's a much better drive and well worth the $40 for my own use. We don't know how durable these are yet, but it is a decent controller and Mushkin generally puts out decent products. I mean it is a budget SSD but even a "slow" SSD is lightyears faster than a mechanical drive. Diminishing returns and all that. :)

In a budget build the extra $40 is the difference between an R9 270 and an R9 280 - just as an example. Your typical gamer on a budget would barely notice the difference between the 850 Evo and this ECO2, but the difference between graphics cards would be something they could definitely see and feel. I will say that there are other good budget options out there including Mushkin's own Enhanced Chronos drives and a couple of PNY models like the CS1111 (which they're running a $20 rebate on currently which brings it in line with the others).

chrpai

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
No one answered my question about the IOS on the 480GB so I went ahead and got the Samsung 850 EVO for $199. I should have this drive for years so an extra $40 is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.