Question MW2-3 RTX 4090 temps

Jun 16, 2023
Hi,
when I'm playing any mode my GPU temps going around 60 ° and I see that it can be 50 ° how can I lower those temps to 50 ° while playing, while the gpu is on idle is around 35-40 ° my GPU is Aorus Master RTX 4090.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
when I'm playing any mode my GPU temps going around 60 ° and I see that it can be 50 ° how can I lower those temps to 50 ° while playing, while the gpu is on idle is around 35-40 ° my GPU is Aorus Master RTX 4090.
If you read some reviews of that GPU, you'll find a temperature section from which you can see that your gaming temperatures are normal and don't represent a problem to be solved.

eHZULvNJMPEc4UsG8gSRjJ.png

EfNZSvBEhMPVkFc7CCZtxH.png

If there's a specific reason you want to lower temperatures (fan noise?), you can explore undervolting and maybe even clock-throttling.

I know but I saw that it can be 50 not water cooled and less hotter

So? There's no performance difference between 50C and 60C. Everything can operate within spec because it's within spec. There's no problem to resolve here.

But if you really have a hard-on for lowering temperatures and you don't want to invest in a different cooling setup, then you have two options:
  • Make every fan in your computer run at 100%
  • Limit the frequency.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Decrease room ambient temperature via air conditioning, which in turn decreases case ambient temperature. The latter is always warmer.
Case ambient affects all cooling devices at about a 1 to 1 ratio. For example, if someone else has the exact same hardware as you, but their case ambient is 22C and yours is 30C, then operating temperatures of your devices can be expected to be about 8C higher.

-Increase fan rpm to try and force more air throughout system.
-Cap frame rate to monitor refresh rate. This method decreases the amount of power used.
-Decrease gpu power limit to 90% or so. This method doesn't do anything if the gpu isn't using up to that level of power to begin with.

What about undervolting? Is that no longer a thing, with modern GPUs?
The problem I've observed with this method - at least on Nvidia gpus - is that the Gpu Boost algorithm makes it difficult to validate stability of an undervolt. Like, if you're trying to find the lowest possible UV for your card, good luck with that.
It can freely change settings if it runs a few degrees warmer than usual, or it detects instability in the manual settings, which is the opposite of what you'd want it to do during such testing.
It doesn't crash like a bad cpu overclock does either, and can keep chugging along like nothing's wrong. You'd have to closely watch graphs to see if it's hiding anything.

I've been advocating using the power limit slider and bumping up the core clock a little because of it.

Jun 16, 2023
Oh ok so It doesn't matter what I'm doing the temps also depends on my room temps and I checked the power limit is set to 100 what is the effect of decreasing it?