[SOLVED] Mx-2 vs mx-4 thermal?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Hey guys so which thermal paste is better MX-2 or MX-4? Which one is best for laptop cpu/gpu?

and what you think about new mastergale maker? Ty

Solution
uh oh thanks a lot man :) i will buy then somthing better is i found it.. for now i have mx-2 2019 but will buy somthing different,thanks :)
No problem. If you already have the MX-2, then just use it until you notice temps are rising again, and you need to reapply paste. Then change the paste to a thicker one for better longevity.

Mind that ICD and Mastergel Maker Nano work on the same principle: diamond particles suspended in a paste. Hence you can get which one is more convenient to buy.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hey guys so which thermal paste is better MX-2 or MX-4? Which one is best for laptop cpu/gpu?

and what you think about new mastergale maker? Ty

If you're looking to change laptop thermal paste, I'd suggest delving deep into the notebookreviews forums. Plenty of knowledgeable users sharing their findings and updating results when a new thermal paste enters the market, or when an existing thermal paste changes its composition.

From what I've read in the forum, the main takeaway as follow:

A) You'd want a thicker thermal paste for longevity. Laptops typically have lower mounting pressure than desktops, and see higher temps. More viscous= less pump out.
B) Kryonaut, while excellent for desktop CPUs, degrade quickly. Ditto with NT-H1. Kryonaut due to its 80° limitation, NT-H1 due to its low viscosity.
C) MX-4 is just fine, just like desktop usage. Longevity is a toss-up, but I view it as not quite good. It's too similar to NT-H1 in my opinion.
D) The general consensus is Hydronaut, Mastergel Maker Nano, and IC Diamond are good. Hydronaut is meant for direct die use, which is exactly what you're looking at in laptops. Maker Nano and ICD are good for their high viscosity, suitable for lower mounting pressure common in laptop heatsinks.
E) Following are quite good but availability might be problematic: Prolimatech PK-3, Thermalright TF8 and TFX, ZF-12 and ZF-EX. Keep in mind the ZFs are Thermalright rebranded.
F) For maximum performance, nothing beats liquid metal. Risky, but doable.

Mastergel Maker (the new formula) is claimed to be as good as Kryonaut, but I haven't had my hands on it so YMMV. I personally use Hydronaut. Or if you can find it, old formula KPx. KPx used to be thick, but now it's noticeably less viscous.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Hello
If you're looking to change laptop thermal paste, I'd suggest delving deep into the notebookreviews forums. Plenty of knowledgeable users sharing their findings and updating results when a new thermal paste enters the market, or when an existing thermal paste changes its composition.

From what I've read in the forum, the main takeaway as follow:

A) You'd want a thicker thermal paste for longevity. Laptops typically have lower mounting pressure than desktops, and see higher temps. More viscous= less pump out.
B) Kryonaut, while excellent for desktop CPUs, degrade quickly. Ditto with NT-H1. Kryonaut due to its 80° limitation, NT-H1 due to its low viscosity.
C) MX-4 is just fine, just like desktop usage. Longevity is a toss-up, but I view it as not quite good. It's too similar to NT-H1 in my opinion.
D) The general consensus is Hydronaut, Mastergel Maker Nano, and IC Diamond are good. Hydronaut is meant for direct die use, which is exactly what you're looking at in laptops. Maker Nano and ICD are good for their high viscosity, suitable for lower mounting pressure common in laptop heatsinks.
E) Following are quite good but availability might be problematic: Prolimatech PK-3, Thermalright TF8 and TFX, ZF-12 and ZF-EX. Keep in mind the ZFs are Thermalright rebranded.
F) For maximum performance, nothing beats liquid metal. Risky, but doable.

Mastergel Maker (the new formula) is claimed to be as good as Kryonaut, but I haven't had my hands on it so YMMV. I personally use Hydronaut. Or if you can find it, old formula KPx. KPx used to be thick, but now it's noticeably less viscous.

Hello i buy MX-2 becouse MX-4 was out of stock,i can order this new mastergel and i think i will but is MX-2 good?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hello

Hello i buy MX-2 becouse MX-4 was out of stock,i can order this new mastergel and i think i will but is MX-2 good?

Sure, it's fine. I suggest monitoring temperature from time to time and see if the thermal paste holds up.

If you're going to buy new thermal paste anyway, get the Mastergel Maker Nano. The Nano variant is similar to IC Diamond. The other Maker paste is silicon based, just like MX-2 and 4.

If budget is of concern, then the ZF pastes. They're Thermalright for half the price.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Sure, it's fine. I suggest monitoring temperature from time to time and see if the thermal paste holds up.

If you're going to buy new thermal paste anyway, get the Mastergel Maker Nano. The Nano variant is similar to IC Diamond. The other Maker paste is silicon based, just like MX-2 and 4.

If budget is of concern, then the ZF pastes. They're Thermalright for half the price.

hey thanks, but i was thinking about New mastergel maker the NEW one...

and what you think about repasting new laptop,worth it? Need to do that? Does stock thermal paste on new laptops is bad?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
hey thanks, but i was thinking about New mastergel maker the NEW one...

and what you think about repasting new laptop,worth it? Need to do that? Does stock thermal paste on new laptops is bad?
Yeah I'm aware of the new formulation, seems bit better than the old one. Longevity seems to be an issue still. I read users reporting high temps within 2 months.

Get ICD/Maker Nano if possible, that's the paste that have the most consistent long life. Or Arctic Silver 5. Both are highly viscous.

Repasting laptops is generally either an enthusiast hobby or done out of necessity; laptop is overheating frequently. Other than that, there's little practical reason.

The OEM stuff is good for longevity, but not as good as aftermarket stuff. Kryonaut, Mastergel Maker, etc is the other end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Yeah I'm aware of the new formulation, seems bit better than the old one. Longevity seems to be an issue still. I read users reporting high temps within 2 months.

Get ICD/Maker Nano if possible, that's the paste that have the most consistent long life. Or Arctic Silver 5. Both are highly viscous.

Repasting laptops is generally either an enthusiast hobby or done out of necessity; laptop is overheating frequently. Other than that, there's little practical reason.

The OEM stuff is good for longevity, but not as good as aftermarket stuff. Kryonaut, Mastergel Maker, etc is the other end of the spectrum.

uh oh thanks a lot man :) i will buy then somthing better is i found it.. for now i have mx-2 2019 but will buy somthing different,thanks :)

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
No problem. If you already have the MX-2, then just use it until you notice temps are rising again, and you need to reapply paste. Then change the paste to a thicker one for better longevity.

Mind that ICD and Mastergel Maker Nano work on the same principle: diamond particles suspended in a paste. Hence you can get which one is more convenient to buy.

Solution