Question My 1 TB HDD shuts down

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
It's no where near full and it doesn't shut down when idle but sometimes shuts down when i have a game turned on. I usually have just music turned on youtube as I play not much else and it shuts down the drive for a bit before appearing again. Sometimes it shuts down for a minute, mostly less

Lutfij

Titan
I don't see a question mark at the end of you sentence(s). What's the question?

Jokes aside, you might want to list your specs and also list the version for your OS if you're on Windows 10. Is this drive the only drive in your system?

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
I don't see a question mark at the end of you sentence(s). What's the question?

Jokes aside, you might want to list your specs and also list the version for your OS if you're on Windows 10. Is this drive the only drive in your system?
I also have hard drive which has the windows installed on it, 0 problems with it.
Db99q0M.png
0xfXYvg.png

popatim

Titan
is the game installed to the HDD? you don't say what the issue is or if there even is one.

It might just be getting put to sleep though there are some drives that will sleep themselves when inactive - no matter what.
In control panel power options, click Change plan setting for your selected plan.
Select Change Advanced power settings.
Click the little + next to "Hard Disk" and again next to "Turn off hard disk after"
Change the setting to NEVER (which is where 0 would be)
Click Apply and OK

If that doesn't keep the drive awake, which exact drive is it?

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
is the game installed to the HDD? you don't say what the issue is or if there even is one.

It might just be getting put to sleep though there are some drives that will sleep themselves when inactive - no matter what.
In control panel power options, click Change plan setting for your selected plan.
Click the little + next to "Hard Disk" and again next to "Turn off hard disk after"
Click Apply and OK

I said during playing games mostly.. It doesnt shut down otherwise.. The problem is listed in the beginning

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
Yes it shuts down when playing games. What impact is that having on you?
If the game is on the SSD then it very well could be going idle and sleeping after windows is done doing whatever it does with all your drives.
Wdym what impact lol? It shuts the games down as I play them. Sometimes multiple times in an hour and it sure as hell didn't used to be like this

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014

Click Apply and OK

I checked the settings it's already set to 0
What is telling you the actual drive is shutting down?
Screencaps of this preferred.
Says nothing rlly, not even an error. When I go back to see if the driver is on it's literally dissapeared.. Not there. Then it appears after a few seconds.. Longest was probably a minute. Sometimes the computer makes a weird quick VRUUUM sound as the crash happens. Not too loud but also not too quiet

USAFRet

Titan
I checked the settings it's already set to 0

Says nothing rlly, not even an error. When I go back to see if the driver is on it's literally dissapeared.. Not there. Then it appears after a few seconds.. Longest was probably a minute. Sometimes the computer makes a weird quick VRUUUM sound as the crash happens. Not too loud but also not too quiet
OK, we need a whole lot more info.
Specifically, the full specs of this system.

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
All good there!
When i took that snap i didn't really have anything running other than opera and steam, I really doubt that it's a false alarm though because the SSD shuts down when its put to work. It shuts down even more often than playing games if I'm downloading something on it. Last night I was downloading a game on steam and it shut down about 6-7 times in the process.

Lukehx

Honorable
Mar 29, 2014
In speccy, please click the little arrow next to the Seagate HDD for us and let us see that and the Smart Attributes that you can click on once you open that menu.

Thank you.
m2Srk3O.png

Sorry btw last one was apparently Kingston SSD. This is Seagate. And games are indeed on HDD SSD is doing perfect.. I have problems with the HDD