My 1st Gaming PC Questions

velasquezgarby

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
I have so many questions in my first PC so, i'll try to summarize it.
This is my first time thinking of upgrading my PC tbh.

So, here are my specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz (6C/6T) Coffeelake
MOBO: ASUS Strix Z370-H or ASUS TUF Z370 Plus Gaming
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
GPU: ASUS GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128Bit GDDR5-STRIX-GTX1050TI-4G
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400Mhz
PSU: DeepCool DA600W 80Plus Bronze 600W
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Blue 64MB WD10EZEX
SSD: WD 120GB Green WDS120G1GOA
Case: Omega X1 RGB Tempered Glass

I've also added 3 extra omega rgb rings
Price is about... PHP45-55K (PHP 45000 - 55000K, But PHP50000 is my recommended price and I also live in PH) Converting this to USD, its about 1000-900USD.

My Questions
1. I've always been thinking this in my head, which is better from the MOBOs? Strix Z370 or TUF Z370?
2. The PSU, is 600W is enough? or 650W? My budget is only 50KPHP or 1000USD.
3. Does the CPU Cooler always comes up with a Thermal Paste or I have to buy one?
4. Is 8GB enough for 2018? If no, is it okay to add one 4gb ram making it 12GB?
5. I'm a newbie at PC Building so, Does Coffeelake can be paired with these MOBOs?
6. Since I saw the specs of the GPU that there is no VGA, is it okay I use VGA to HDMI Converter and will not affect the display?
7. I may consider this a budget Gaming PC & Video Editing but this specs is enough in video editing and rendering?
8. Again, I'm a newbie at PC Building, does this specs correspond or will work according to some other PC Building?
9. Is 120GB enough?
10. Since Im new to PC Building, do I have to change the PC Parts so I can make it work perfectly?

Thank you and awaiting for your reply. Accepting any kind of suggestion and replies.

Solution
I will try to answer them as best as possible :)

1. I've always been thinking this in my head, which is better from the MOBOs? Strix Z370 or TUF Z370?

If you aren't looking to overclock your CPU a bit go for the TUF it has 60months warranty.
If you want full complete exaggerated OC go for strix, capacitors are slightly better as well as the power bridge.

600W is absolutely enough.

3. Does the CPU Cooler always comes up with a Thermal Paste or I have to buy one?

Most of them come with thermal paste, but if it is a cheap one you need to buy it apart.

If you add a 3rd stick to...

siles2004

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I will try to answer them as best as possible :)

If you aren't looking to overclock your CPU a bit go for the TUF it has 60months warranty.
If you want full complete exaggerated OC go for strix, capacitors are slightly better as well as the power bridge.

600W is absolutely enough.

Most of them come with thermal paste, but if it is a cheap one you need to buy it apart.

If you add a 3rd stick to already 2 installed sticks, it will run slower, as the 3rd stick won't be running in dual-channel.

5. I'm a newbie at PC Building so, Does Coffeelake can be paired with these MOBOs?

Yes.

6. Since I saw the specs of the GPU that there is no VGA, is it okay I use VGA to HDMI Converter and will not affect the display?

It is not optimal, but will work up to a certain extend.

7. I may consider this a budget Gaming PC & Video Editing but this specs is enough in video editing and rendering?

Yes they are but for editing and rendering you better go for an AMD platform like Ryzen 5 2600, much better than any i5 and many i7.

8. Again, I'm a newbie at PC Building, does this specs correspond or will work according to some other PC Building?

Better go for an AMD CPU and a Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

9. Is 120GB enough?

Depends on your games and on your videos you're going to edit, but modern games take between 60 and 80 GB space so, I would say no.
Go for at least 1TB

10. Since Im new to PC Building, do I have to change the PC Parts so I can make it work perfectly?

Looks good so far :)

Let me know if you want me to create a build for you so you have something in front of you.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
On the subject of VGA, you need what is called an active adapter. The 10 series GPUs no longer support analog outputs so the cheaper passive ones won't work.

If you do increase the memory above 8GB, you should head straight for 16GB.

120GB SSD is a little small these days. The most GB/per money is usually found in the 240-256GB range. It will let you put a few of your most played games on the SSD as well.

velasquezgarby

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
Hello again! I'm sorry (;-;) that I didn't included this questions earlier because I was so sleepy. :D

My PC is like 6 or 8 years old, I think some parts will make me reuse and save money and spend less.
Also, the questions stated below are the parts/specs from what I'm using right now *smiley face*
1. Can I use my old PSU? I think bought it on (from what I remember :??:) Aug or Sept 2016, its 650W. Modular PSU. :thinking:
2. Do my HDD (450GB) still compatible/okay in 2018 and good to use in my next PC?
3. How much is the file size of Windows 10 64Bit? If I'm gonna use a flash drive and install Windows 10 on it, what size of Flash Drive or USB should I use or recommended?
4. (This question comes up to my mind when it comes to SSD & HDD) Is it okay to install/ only have a SSD but does not have HDD?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

1)Yes, you can re-use an ATX power supply from 2016. Should be good for many years.

2) SATA standard hasn't changed in a very long time. You could easily plug in a SATA drive from 2002 or 2003 just as easily.

3) Windows 10 64bit installation files require a 4GB minimum USB flash drive. 8GB are very commonly still manufactured if you don't have one.

4) Yes, you can operate a computer with only SSD storage. (That is what I do)