My 1st OC 8350 SUMOUT. Need advice.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kuniyosh

Prominent
May 14, 2017
I am currently trying to stabilise an overclocked 8350. I have run prime 95 for an hour (FTT small) with no issues but as soon as I run a memory test the system falls over with SUMOUT errors. I'm currently running voltages at 1.36 on the CPU and 1.25 on the CPU Northbridge. I have all the power saving facilities off and cool and quiet off.

Multiplier is at 21.5
FSB is at 200 (stock)
Cpu/NB and HT frequency is set at 2200. I use the D.O.C.P. ram profile to set ram timing as I could get the 1866 stable at stock. This was when I noticed the asus bios set cpu/NB and HT speeds to 2200 for my crucial ballistix tactical 1866 9-9-9-27 to run stable at stock clocks. It was the only way to get the ram stable with everything at stock. To try to overclock I have reduce ram frequency to 1600 but tightened timing to 8-8-8-24.

All my FTT small runs are stable for anything up to an hour. I get no rounding errors at all. The SUMOUT errors happen during blend and custom tests ultilising 75-90% of my ram.

I have tried bumping NB and NB HT voltages up 4 integers but this doesn't help. I am not checking if RAM voltage set to 1.525v will help but I am at a loss. I just cannot get the ram to stabilise (if it isn't he ram. I presume it is from the SUMOUT errors).

My system is:
M5A99X evo 1.0
FX 8350 4.0ghz
Crucial ballistix tactical 1866 1.5v
1060 gtx
Corsair 850 bronze power supply.

Temps are
Package 52c under load
Socket 59c
Idle package 11c!!
Idle Socket 35c

The error always comes at 58 minutes. No matter what i do?

1.525 test just fails at 58 minutes on same core. The failure varies though but is often core 8, 7, or 6.

I know this can go higher but I just cannot get the ram stable. Any suggestions? Should I wrap the Northbridge footage or the Northbridge HT voltage? Should I try increasing cpu voltage further (I have done this before but it didn't help). I am lost!

I am now trying a 2 integer bump in cpu volts to 1.381v to see if this stabilises the ram but I am not hopeful. Will edit post if this fixes my problems.

This isn't a link to google photos for all my BIOS setting and ram timings.

https://goo.gl/photos/DhoRUQSrtDRkFZpD9

Solution
Just another reason for not using Prime95 with AMD system, it's made for Intel and it's manner of work and measurements. Use AOD and or OCCT. First one is made for AMD only and second can be adjusted better. Prime95 should have been in a museum long time ago.

Kuniyosh

Prominent
May 14, 2017
8 runs IBT custom 12000mb of 16000mb and test failed. Voltage needed would be 1.39-1.40v and that is just to much heat for the 212 eve. So 4.3ghz it is but it shows. The difference in witcher 3 is 5-10fps. I cannot wait for my 7700k build. Getting the maximum hero of the next one up. May go for the vega when released as I need to do video editing but we will see. Won't do a custom loop but am tempted to get an IO but heard they are noisy. You guys recommend any?