My 2003 Cadillac DeVille/Northstar engine 130,000 miles recently leaked ALOTof r

lt_torg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
My 2003 Cadillac DeVille /Northstar engine 130,000 mile recently leaked ALOT of radiator fluid in my driveway. I replaced the fluid and drove it to my mechanic. He said I needed a new water pump/thermastat so he put in a new one and when he was repressurizing - the radiator cracked/blew!! so I replaced the radiator and upper and lower hoses! Picked up the car , drove about 20 miles and my car started running rough and bells went off telling me my car was overheating stop and idle car !!! I pulled over and checked the radiator fluid - it was bone dry!! I towed it back to the mecahnic and NOW he tells me I have a cracked head!! I think that his shop installed the pump , radiator or something wrong and caused my car to over heat ! I have never had these over heating lights come on before!! what do you think? I even asked him if he may have forgot to put in Radiator fluid BUT he charged me for coolant and radiator flush...

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
The earlier Northstar engines did have head issues. They would actually pull the threads from the block. That was a more common issue than a cracked head. That is besides the point anyways. It sounds like the engine had an airlock in the cooling system which means he didn't fill the engine and rad with coolant properly. That can do serious damage to the car. Has he taken the heads off already? If not then ask to watch when he does it and explain how it happened because it does sound like he messed up. If he says no then take it to another mechanic.

lt_torg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
My mechanic put a "sealant " in twice.. and he says it is running "for now" - he is not taking any responsibility for my "cracked head" even after I paid 1234$ for a new water pump, thermastat, radiator and hoses!! my car is junk basically. I am so frustrated. He has not taken the heads off- I did not want to pay any more money!! and he said minimally it is a 2500$ job. In the past year - I have bought new tires , replaced brakes front and rear , drive belt, power steering hose and wheel bearings and various other things ... totaling close to 3800$ I am selling it but for how much?

lt_torg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Another question is WHY did my this happen? I spent 1234$ to fix radiator/water pump and as I DRIVE it home it cracks a HEAD! and it is junk now??? where is the LOVE!?

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
My guess is that it happened because he air locked the coolant system. That means there is a big pocket of air in the engine so it was low on coolant from the beginning. If he has not taken the heads off how does he know the head is cracked? Most of the time when heads crack they go internally, ie water jacket to intake/ exhaust/ oil port and you need to take the head off to see. It is far more likely the head warped or you blew a head gasket. I suggest taking it to another mechanic. If he says the same thing then call some scrap yards to see if they have a replacement engine or heads you can buy. It might end up being cheaper to buy some used heads and slap them on. Just make sure if you go to see a new mechanic to ask to see the damage and see if they can give you a reason why. Just by going over what you said I can only give out theories as to what happened and having someone competent to actually see it can give you the full story. Also when/ if the heads come off make sure whoever is doing it checks the theads in the block for the head bolts. In scenarios like this with that specific engine they can strip the threads out and that will add on close to $600 to the bill which might make it not worthwhile. Costs on this job can add up quickly so figure out all your options before investing too much in to it.