Question My 2080 SUPER lights up but it is not recognized by Device Manager nor the BIOS.

Aug 20, 2022
Backstory: I had an issue with my power button which would not work anymore, so I had to open my PC up to investigate the issue. Once I had fixed the issue (power cable not properly connected) I restarted my PC only to find out that the GPU had disappeared into thin air. No output and no signs of life from Device Manager.

The GPU leds light up, but only two of the three fans are spinning.

I went absolutely crazy trying to figure out what had happened I tried to:
  • uninstall and reinstall the GPU drivers
  • use the bcdedit /set pciexpress forcedisable command and reboot,
  • tried to check whether the PCIe cables were properly connected to the GPU, and it was the case,
  • tried to reseat the GPU and removed some dust from the PCIe slot.
Nothing that I tried gave me a proper result. The GPU still lights up, fans spin (except for the middle one) but no sign of it whatsoever.

What's funny is that, after a day or so, the GPU came back "on it's own" and continued to work just fine, but after I hit my head on the desk one morning while cleaning under it, the GPU disappeared again. and it's not coming back.
I am trying again to "revive" it by doing the same exact steps I did when it disappeared the first time, but no luck at all.

Not sure what is the issue here and how did it come back in the first place at all, so I am not sure whether is my GPU that has left this world or the PCIe slot did.

Last edited:
Last time I updated windows was around last year. Still running Windows 10 21H1, so I don't think that is the case.
I turned off automatic updates too,

Is there any windows update needs installing at moment?

Here couple threads you can read

Aug 20, 2022
Could it be an bad window update anyway you could try DDU in safe mode wipe all the gpu drivers from the computer and try it that way or try another slot on your motherboard for your gpu or going into bios and change PCI-E setup to the gpu

I can't move my GPU to the lower PCIe slot as it won't fit (it touches with some front I/O panel wiring and one fan cannot spin). I could probably buy a GPU riser to bypass this problem, though.

Aug 20, 2022
Could it be an bad window update anyway you could try DDU in safe mode wipe all the gpu drivers from the computer and try it that way or try another slot on your motherboard for your gpu or going into bios and change PCI-E setup to the gpu

Tried changing the Primary GPU setting inside the BIOS from Auto to PCI-e, still nothing.
Also ran a sfc /scannow scan and still nothing.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022
I tried to perform a clean install using DDU but when I attempt to install the new drivers the installation fails due to a "missing graphics card".
GSUAuCJ.png

Not sure what should I try next

I tried to perform a clean install using DDU but when I attempt to install the new drivers the installation fails due to a "missing graphics card".
GSUAuCJ.png

Not sure what should I try next

Try downloading geforce and see if you can instal the drivers from there because had that message before?

Aug 20, 2022
Try reading this

Not sure what to do here: I tried everything on that list to no avail. The GPU won't show up on Device Manager.

Not sure if it is good news but the GPU middle fan resumed working before, so I guess it's not damaged at least.

You could try your gpu in a different pc.
Confirm you have it currently well seated in its slot. Confirm that it is indeed getting additional power from cables if needed. You could try slightly wedging the gpu up or down to flex the slot and see if that re-establishes good contact (bad slot).
List all your hardware including psu

Aug 20, 2022
You could try your gpu in a different pc.
Confirm you have it currently well seated in its slot. Confirm that it is indeed getting additional power from cables if needed. You could try slightly wedging the gpu up or down to flex the slot and see if that re-establishes good contact (bad slot).
List all your hardware including psu

My components:
CPU: Intel i9 9900k (not overclocked)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER
RAM: 32GB of Corsair Venegance Pro RGB
Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO RGB
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX z390-e
PSU: Corsair CX 750M

Storage: a 500GB SSD and some (probably 4) hard drives.

Case: NZXT h500i.

I am sure it is seated correctly as I reseated it a few hours ago. Not sure if I should wedge the GPU up or down, is it safe to do?
Friday a friend of mine will bring his1080ti to test if the GPU has gone bad or if the PCI-E slot did (which is the most likely option). Until then I guess no FIFA or 3D modelling for me, only coding!

Do the test with his gpu 1st..it will point you in the right direction. I wouldn't normally suggest wedging the gpu so the slot angle changes, but if it comes down to it, it could help confirm the slot is at fault..likely a solder joint for the slot at the back of the motherboard is faulty. If so, it might be repairable by resoldering/reflowing

Aug 20, 2022
Do the test with his gpu 1st..it will point you in the right direction. I wouldn't normally suggest wedging the gpu so the slot angle changes, but if it comes down to it, it could help confirm the slot is at fault..likely a solder joint for the slot at the back of the motherboard is faulty. If so, it might be repairable by resoldering/reflowing

Tried to wedge it a bit, no luck.
Guess it all comes down to Friday then, unless my GPU comes back to life just like it did the first time.

Aug 20, 2022
Well I tried to move the GPU to a different slot, still nothing. Device Manager cannot see it, nor can the NVIDIA Driver Setup or the BIOS itself.
What is going on here?

At least the middle fan works. A welcome sign of life.

Aug 20, 2022
Last thing I attempted: I removed the GPU and inspected the pins, looks like there was some dirt so I cleaned them off with some isopropyl alchol (a little bit) and moved it back up the first slot, since having it in the second slot didn't allow me to use my front USB ports which I had to unplug for the motherboard, or they would block off the GPU fans.
Nope, that did not work, the GPU won't appear anywhere. Sounds like I'll need a new one but, until friday, I will not know for sure where the problem is.

Shadownover

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Last thing I attempted: I removed the GPU and inspected the pins, looks like there was some dirt so I cleaned them off with some isopropyl alchol (a little bit) and moved it back up the first slot, since having it in the second slot didn't allow me to use my front USB ports which I had to unplug for the motherboard, or they would block off the GPU fans.
Nope, that did not work, the GPU won't appear anywhere. Sounds like I'll need a new one but, until friday, I will not know for sure where the problem is.

Did you have any luck? I bought a 3060ti last week and having the same issue as you, fans spinning, no output. I've tried other GPUs in mine, I've tried putting my GPU in other computers. Everything seems fine. No clue whats happened

Aug 20, 2022
Did you have any luck? I bought a 3060ti last week and having the same issue as you, fans spinning, no output. I've tried other GPUs in mine, I've tried putting my GPU in other computers. Everything seems fine. No clue whats happened

Sorry for the late response: yes the GPU was recognized! I was so glad to see that and after that we cleaned the PCI-E slot with some isopropyl alcholol, which seemed to do the trick.
Now the GPU runs, albeit at x2 instead of x16, hinting that something might be broken in the slot.

Better than nothing for now.