[SOLVED] My 240 hz monitor is only showing 60 hz

grantcstephenson

Prominent
Aug 16, 2018
I just got a new monitor for Christmas and it is not showing 240hz even though I’m using a display port cable and I set the monitor to 240hz in the display settings

Solution

Hello, I realised your problem could be very serious, since you bought a whole new monitor. I will try to specify my answer:
I looked at my own setup and realised that not every HDMI port and cable support 240Hz. I would be glad if you posted a photo of your display port and your port of your graphics card the monitor is hooked up to. You need to find out if your graphics card supports displayport 1.2+. Could you also mention what your graphics card and your motherboard is. Replying to you question: The AMD equivalent of...

grantcstephenson

Prominent
Aug 16, 2018
Well i got it to work when I unplugged my secondary monitor, but I want to be able to use both. What would the AMD equivalent to the nvidia configuration panel be. I already changed the display settings to 240 hz

Dec 26, 2018

Hello, I realised your problem could be very serious, since you bought a whole new monitor. I will try to specify my answer:
I looked at my own setup and realised that not every HDMI port and cable support 240Hz. I would be glad if you posted a photo of your display port and your port of your graphics card the monitor is hooked up to. You need to find out if your graphics card supports displayport 1.2+. Could you also mention what your graphics card and your motherboard is. Replying to you question: The AMD equivalent of Nvidia Control Panel is AMD Catalyst Control Center. You can acces it by right clicking on your desktop and selecting it. Going on with my solution. There are different versions of the displayport and only displayport 1.2 and higher support 1080p 240Hz. In the meantime you could try making a custom resolution which forces the monitor to run at a certain frequency. How to do it:
https://appuals.com/how-to-create-custom-resolutions-on-windows-7-8-or-10/

Update: I just actually read what your reply was and you stated that you have multiple monitors. So I am more confident it has something to do with ports. You see, a display port is capable of transferring more data to the monitor(s) than a HDMI cable, but it has a certain limit. Every monitor needs a certain amount of bandwidth and if the setting (/setup) you want cannot be achieved it will compensate to still keep both monitors working.

Solution