Question My 2700x don't go above 3975Mhz

luizmartini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
Hello friends, i bought the new 2700x but not perfoming well here.

I see the clock when i play games don't go above 3975. I know the boost depends on the temperature of the cpu, but i have good temperature (i use watercooler).

Its probably the problem is my motherboard?

I use b350-plus motherboard for this cpu.

Have a look at this previous post around the same question.

What you think about X470-pro from asus? I see you have it.

I can reach at least 4.1ghz with this board? Thanks
It's great MB although not as flashy as some it works great with my system and my 2700x boost regularly to 4.25GHZ with some cores to over 4,3GHz if SW pushes it as far. My memory runs at 3600MHz with DOCP set. Except for less bells and whistles, it's performance is same as much more expensive C7H. Really satisfied with it. Newest BIOS made it sing.

luizmartini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks, planning to buy it soon!

It's great MB although not as flashy as some it works great with my system and my 2700x boost regularly to 4.25GHZ with some cores to over 4,3GHz if SW pushes it as far. My memory runs at 3600MHz with DOCP set. Except for less bells and whistles, it's performance is same as much more expensive C7H. Really satisfied with it. Newest BIOS made it sing.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Is your BIOS up to date?

PBO2 and XRR2 (AMD's CPU boost technologies) should still work on a B350 board. You don't really need an X470 to achieve the full performance of a 2700X.

What sort of boost frequencies do you see running something like Cinebench? Try running it with only 1 thread, and then all 16 threads.

luizmartini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
Yes my bios is updated.

After the last update, the b350 not have more PBO technology :(

Is your BIOS up to date?

PBO2 and XRR2 (AMD's CPU boost technologies) should still work on a B350 board. You don't really need an X470 to achieve the full performance of a 2700X.

What sort of boost frequencies do you see running something like Cinebench? Try running it with only 1 thread, and then all 16 threads.

Its gets good performance on games getting like 200mhz more, and can get more stable on my system since im using it for gaming.

Other thing for that to use my memory, i have 3333Mhz but i my b350 accepts only 3000mhz and i can't use all of my memory.

Its not simple 200mhz on this game

You're at 3.975 right now.

Do you really think it's worth spending $100+ dollars to get 100-200mhz more?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Other thing for that to use my memory, i have 3333Mhz but i my b350 accepts only 3000mhz and i can't use all of my memory.
Your motherboard should support 3200 MHz. I doubt you're going to see a major difference between 3000, 3200, and 3333 anyway. And the X470-Pro doesn't officially list support for 3333 MHz either.

Its gets good performance on games getting like 200mhz more, and can get more stable on my system since im using it for gaming.

Its not simple 200mhz on this game
I don't understand what you mean here, sorry.

Last edited:
My b350 mobo doesnt officially have support above 3200 but it can run ram above this as an option. It is unstable with my 3200 kit above 3200, but it does support higher frequency ram. Your board aswell likely can xmp ram above 3200.

I still would go with an x470 board for that 2700x for better power delivery and a bios feature set more designed for the 2700x. As you have shown a b350 board will work with 2700x with bios update, but it is not ideal. Just curious, what cooler are you using?

luizmartini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
When i try 3200 here the games crashes and i've used Ryzen Calculator for get best timings voltages etc.

Your motherboard should support 3200 MHz. I doubt you're going to see a major difference between 3000, 3200, and 3333 anyway. And the X470-Pro doesn't officially list support for 3333 MHz either.

I don't understand what you mean here, sorry.

Im using Maelstrom 240T

My b350 mobo doesnt officially have support above 3200 but it can run ram above this as an option. It is unstable with my 3200 kit above 3200, but it does support higher frequency ram. Your board aswell likely can xmp ram above 3200.

I still would go with an x470 board for that 2700x for better power delivery and a bios feature set more designed for the 2700x. As you have shown a b350 board will work with 2700x with bios update, but it is not ideal. Just curious, what cooler are you using?

For me get good voltage and mhz on my ryzen, what method is best to try for manually overclocking, using Ryzen Master?

You could always try manually overclocking with your current mobo rather than relying on PBO/XFR. Or it could even be just a matter of increasing a current or power limit in the BIOS that would allow PBO/XFR to boost higher/longer.

I have never used ryzen master to overclock my ryzen as i prefer the old fashoned bios way, but i have heard ryzen master works well. I would first try putting the settings written on the side or your ram into ryzen master. My ripjaws kit has the speed, capacity, voltage, and cas timings printed on the side of each dimm. If the ram kit is unstable at that use 1.35 volts or 1.375 volts and no more to try for stablility. If it doesnt work at that try backing the speed a little. Ryzen isnt great with fast ram speeds it is possible your rated speed wont run stable, but 3000 or 3200 should be achieveable.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you google "Ryzen Overclocking guide" you should find plenty of good info. Some of them also include steps for RAM overclocking. I've never heard of Ryzen Calculator before, but I'm a little skeptical of anything that claims to auto calculate overclock settings...

luizmartini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
No friend, in games which uses single core speed, have huge impact,

For example if i get like 200mhz more in only 1 in use i will get good boost in fps. I already tested it

And I'm still confused why you would consider spending 100 dollars or more to get 100 or maybe 200 megahertz more. You realize you're talking about 1 frame per second?

luizmartini

Prominent
Dec 7, 2018
Boosting the core speed not is one math

I made one overclock here to 4.1ghz (manually friend) i saw huge difference on game, if you want i can show you before and after.

Another thing, the drop of fps decreased also when i increased my speed

Sorry but that is 100% wrong. There are no games that will give you a "huge impact" going from 3975 to 4200 in single core.

It's simple math. You're trying to achieve an extra 5% overclock.

If you're getting:

50 fps x 5% = 52.5 fps
100fps x 5% = 105 fps