My 2TB HDD is showing as 128GB!

Amsal Khan

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Guys,I am having already a 500GB ST3500418AS with my motherboard Gigabyte GA-G41M Combo. I have 2TB ST2000VX000 and it was delivered yesterday, and then I connected it to my PC, and later I opened windows 10 x64bit Disk Management and it asked for GPT and MBR, I selected MBR, and then I made a partition, and it was made successfully, and I given it as Z:

Now later, I shutdown my pc, and now next day when I turned it on, there was no disk partition with Z, later I gone to Disk Management, and then found my disk is showing as 128GB UNALLOCATED. I tried to even make a 128gb disk or partition, that doesn't work, I read alot and seen many many forums, even on tomshardware, and found nothing is helping, and am sure my harddisk is atleast not breaked, because it was working awesome just a day ago. Now I tried Ease-Us partition tool and seen my this DISK-1 is showing as MBR, read only, 128gb am not able to do anything with it :(

Please someone help me out with this.

And yes I even tried Seatools For windows, Seatools for dos, that is not even working, giving me a error, "the drive is not responding to commands" again and again for any thing i choose.

And yes one more thing, am already running on latest bios of Ga-G41M-Combo which is 'FB'

I hope someone could help me :)

Solution
Return it to the place you got it from. It should be under warranty right?
Taking into account all the things you've tried, it seems that there's something wrong with the drive.

D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Amsal Khan,

Unfortunately, it looks like the drive has some problem.
One thing you can try is to attach it with different cables to another SATA port. See if the drive is recognized the same way by BIOS.
Updating your MOBO's drivers will not hurt as well.

If nothing helps, you can just RMA it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Amsal Khan

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

when I use diskpart, and use list disk, it show only my 500gb disk, and yes SMART is on in BIOS, And yes other drive show SMART info in HDtune health

Amsal Khan

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

I tried your tips already as well, and btw what does this RMA mean?

Amsal Khan

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

ok, i did a return application ;)