[SOLVED] My 3090 GPU only works when I unplug it from the motherboard then plug it back in ?

Nov 19, 2022
I have owned a 3090 rig since 21 Jan 2021 and I have taken good care of it and kept it clean. 2 week ago after I got an update to my windows and Nvidia drivers my computer started acting up. My PC would turn all the monitors off while doing anything but not shut my pc off. My monitors would only work again after turning off my pc and turning it back on. 2 days later it now was always going to a black screen while the computer ran. I took my whole pc apart to see if anything was broken and nothing look broken to me. I put it back together and still a black sceen. I bring it to a computer shop and they confirmed to me that nothing in my pc is broken and they had to insert their GPU to go into my BIOS to fix some settings and after testing my 3090 for 5 hours it was good to go.

I got my PC back and I went 4 days all good and now my PC is doing the same thing again with black screening and now it got to the point no matter what I do its the same results. Turning on the pc and just black. I realized after testing, my GPU will ONLY work again if I unplug it from my Motherboard and plug it back in and then my screen will work again and then I have a few hours before the screen goes black again and I have to do the whole process all over again. Can anyone point out what is wrong with my PC? Is it a failing PSU or something? My specs are below.

CASE: BLACK RAZER O11 DYNAMIC ATX MID TOWER GAMING CASE TEM

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX ARGB 1GBE LAN 2 PCIE X16 4 PCIE

PROCESSOR: OEM INTEL CORE PROCESSOR I9-10900K 10/20 3.70GHZ 20MB

GPU: MSI GEFORCE RTX 3090 VENTUS 3X 24GB OC GDDR6X

RAM: 32G CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 8GB DDR4-3000

CPU COOLER: DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360EX ARGB AIO LIQUID CPU COOLER W ANTI-LEAK TECHNOLOGY x3 120MM FANS

FANS: x3 CORSAIR iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE PERFORMANCE 120MM PWM 500-1500 RPM

STORAGE: 1TB SAMSUNG 870 QVO-SERIES SATA-III 6 GB/S SSD & 1TB INTEL 665P SERIES PCIE NVME M.2 SSD

PSU: APEVIA 1000WATT GOLD 80 PLUS POWER

Solution
Hey there,

I'd start off by saying, that I would get that Apevia PSU and throw it out the window before it fries your system or some components.

Simply not suitable for a 3090, nor is suitable even for a Ryzen 2400g (built in iGPU). Those Apevia PSU's should be banned from the marketplace.

I suspect any problems you have will come from this unit.

Get a proper 1000w PSU like an Corsair RMX1000w, which are known to handle a 3090 PROPERLY.

Also, watch this for reference: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

The 3090 can have power spikes of 600w alone for the GPU!! Crazy right. With a cheap PSU, the power spike is likely to cause you many issues, including random crashes.
Hey there,

I'd start off by saying, that I would get that Apevia PSU and throw it out the window before it fries your system or some components.

Simply not suitable for a 3090, nor is suitable even for a Ryzen 2400g (built in iGPU). Those Apevia PSU's should be banned from the marketplace.

Get a proper 1000w PSU like an Corsair RMX1000w, which are known to handle a 3090 PROPERLY.

Also, watch this for reference: The Brewing Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients - YouTube

The 3090 can have power spikes of 600w alone for the GPU!! Crazy right. With a cheap PSU, the power spike is likely to cause you many issues, including random crashes.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 19, 2022
Hey there,

Get a proper 1000w PSU like an Corsair RMX100w, which are known to handle a 3090 PROPERLY.

I suspected it was the PSU at least since everything looks fine and I do have Rivatuner and everything was fine from my temps to MHZ. I'll start with changing to the PSU you recommended. Thanks! I'm just surprised my PSU even lasted me 2 years if they were really bad. My budget was almost at 0 and I saw that battery. I guess I now know why it was priced like that....

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I suspected it was the PSU at least since everything looks fine and I do have Rivatuner and everything was fine from my temps to MHZ. I'll start with changing to the PSU you recommended. Thanks! I'm just surprised my PSU even lasted me 2 years if they were really bad. My budget was almost at 0 and I saw that battery. I guess I now know why it was priced like that....

Yes, this is often the case. A high wattage PSU with 'Gold' splashed all over it. Looks enticing, right? For $50 bucks or so. Makes sense!? No, it doesn't. The PSU is the heart of your system. You want a pretty strong heart to drive your system. Getting a decent model will save you headaches further down the line.

Yes, Apevia are known to be bad PSU's. Not all are made equal. But you are on the right track, so get that sorted, and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022
Yes, this is often the case. A high wattage PSU with 'Gold' splashed all over it. Looks enticing, right? For $50 bucks or so. Makes sense!? No, it doesn't. The PSU is the heart of your system. You want a pretty strong heart to drive your system. Getting a decent model will save you headaches further down the line.

Yes, Apevia are known to be bad PSU's. Not all are made equal. But you are on the right track, so get that sorted, and you should be good to go.
Hey so I just wanted to give an update. So I went with the PSU as you advised me and did some testing with my PC. It has never shut off once and my GPU never shut off throughout the 3 days I gamed or left it on for a few extra hours to see how it goes and my performance and TEMPS have improved significantly that I was shook. I have also changed out my 3 plain black fans for 3 more Corsair RGB fans so I now have 6 in total Corsair RGB fans and I'm loving it. Thanks for the advice! I'll be advising my friends to never get those Apevia PSUs, those should be trashed immediately. Below is my PC working again with the RGB fans 👍

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...UqfFBq3Hhl&id=100001466090954&mibextid=Nif5oz

Hey so I just wanted to give an update. So I went with the PSU as you advised me and did some testing with my PC. It has never shut off once and my GPU never shut off throughout the 3 days I gamed or left it on for a few extra hours to see how it goes and my performance and TEMPS have improved significantly that I was shook. I have also changed out my 3 plain black fans for 3 more Corsair RGB fans so I now have 6 in total Corsair RGB fans and I'm loving it. Thanks for the advice! I'll be advising my friends to never get those Apevia PSUs, those should be trashed immediately. Below is my PC working again with the RGB fans 👍

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...UqfFBq3Hhl&id=100001466090954&mibextid=Nif5oz

Ah, that's great buddy! I'm glad it's sorted for you.

Happy gaming :)

Reactions: JaykeoSaurus