Question My 3400G, Wraith spire cooler spins at MAX rpm and wont ever stop??

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
my new ryzen 3400G started to spin at full rpm ever since playing gta 5 just one time, now the BIOS setting for fan control wont even change the fan speed?? and everything is not working to change the CPU fan speed, nothing is working. FAN just started spinning after gaming and now wont stop, plz help

Spec = a320m-h mobo, adata gammix 16gb ddr4, gigabyte 240gb ssd, 3X fan rgb case molel fans

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Have you removed it and reinstalled it to be sure it is making proper contact with the CPU? What are the CPU core temps?

Wow, believe it or not i changed the fan setting in BIOS to VOLTZ instead of PWM, basically the opposite of what everyone says to do, and it went back to normal, now only spins when at load like it should. Literally pwm fan setting makes it very loud, but voltz setting sorted it and its never been quieter. temps 29/30 idle, 65 full load after 10min benchmrk, everything normal.

Yes, Strange but true, But i had 100% cpu fan non stop from boot till shut down on pwm setting after playing one game, one time. Had to change it to voltz and it sorted. thanks for your help anyway, buds

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Have you removed it and reinstalled it to be sure it is making proper contact with the CPU? What are the CPU core temps?

and may i just add, my ears still hurt from the fans spinning at 100%, im not even joking i wish i was, it took me about 2+ hours before i worked it out to change back to volts not pwm. so for 2+ hours i was listening to a high pitched scream basically it felt like.

also this 3400g only goes 4.2ghz boost speed when it feels like it, im aware its a single core boost or whatever but, sometimes i bench at 2100 points on CPU-Z benchmark, then 5 mins later ill benchmark at 2480 points on CPU-Z, and the clocks went from 3.85GHz-all core boost, to 4.05GHz-all core boost. So this thing does what it wants when it wants. the MHz readings are all over the place. Any ideas???

i have ATNG 400W PSU claims to be 85% efficient

D

Deleted member 2720853

and may i just add, my ears still hurt from the fans spinning at 100%, im not even joking i wish i was, it took me about 2+ hours before i worked it out to change back to volts not pwm. so for 2+ hours i was listening to a high pitched scream basically it felt like.

also this 3400g only goes 4.2ghz boost speed when it feels like it, im aware its a single core boost or whatever but, sometimes i bench at 2100 points on CPU-Z benchmark, then 5 mins later ill benchmark at 2480 points on CPU-Z, and the clocks went from 3.85GHz-all core boost, to 4.05GHz-all core boost. So this thing does what it wants when it wants. the MHz readings are all over the place. Any ideas???

i have ATNG 400W PSU claims to be 85% efficient
Have you installed the AMD Chipset drivers? These processors behave very differently to Intels. After installing the chipset drivers you should set the power plan in Power Options to Ryzen Balanced power plan.

And that PSU is very questionable, I'd replace it for something like a Corsair CX 550M (2017 gray "CX" units, not green) as soon as possible.

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Have you installed the AMD Chipset drivers? These processors behave very differently to Intels. After installing the chipset drivers you should set the power plan in Power Options to Ryzen Balanced power plan.

And that PSU is very questionable, I'd replace it for something like a Corsair CX 550M (2017 gray "CX" units, not green) as soon as possible.

Yes all the chipset drivers were latest 2020 off the amd website and ryzen power plan in place, uninstalled/reinstalled. it must have been due to throttling or whatever ive read somewhere.? PWM off fixed it, nothing else

Im aware The PSU is not great but for a cheap psu it has a little bit of weight to it and appears to have lots going on inside copper bits etc, but in reality at moment only powering the 3400g, a320 mobo, 1 stick of ram and ssd and 500gb hdd 3x fan rgb. very bare bones system i have here, and NOT doing any overclock ever hence the A320 mobo.

the PSU is better than some cheap ones ive used in the past i feel, like Winpower and CIT etc.. the really cheap ones. The atng has 4+4 8-Pin 12V at least. lol

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm glad your problem is solved, but PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is the proper setting for a PWM fan motor. Either the PWM function of the DC fan motor isn't working, or the board/BIOS has issues. You are plugged into the correct fan header, right? You don't inadvertently have the CPU fan's and a case fan's connectors swapped, maybe?

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
I'm glad your problem is solved, but PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is the proper setting for a PWM fan motor. Either the PWM function of the DC fan motor isn't working, or the board/BIOS has issues. You are plugged into the correct fan header, right? You don't inadvertently have the CPU fan's and a case fan's connectors swapped, maybe?

I understand, ive never had this problem before i had a 3000G and ryzen3 3200G with A320MH setup, and i dont recall having these problems, but then again i sold these PC's on quickly so ill never know unless i get a complaint. then again the 3000and 3200g dont have wraith spire cooler.

I'm still leaning towards throttling as the cause, its a fresh built PC, the mobo arrived with the F50 latest BIOS and everything, there is a setting in the BIOS for "custom throttling" so im assuming i could mess around with that and probably fix it (never dealt with throttling in BIOS before so i noobish), but in all honesty VOLTZ setting is perfect and working great, i dont think im going to fug with it for now.
The FAN never goes to its 3000rpm max under load on VOLTZ, like it did with PWM., and the temps are all sound and equals or better, never gets abouve 65. PWM setting is automatically overkilling it on these Ryzens, someone call AMD lol tell them pwm settings are fug'd. lolol

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020

im begining to think all these people complaining with the noisey AMD ryzen coolers, are actually on PWM setting and its massively throttling for no reason. its really unwarranted throttling or whatever with the fan.
i think unless youre adjusting the "custom throttling" with these amd rzens to make the crazy rpms stop, theyre just gonna ramp up crazy all the time, which is the PWM's default, by the looks/sound of it lol

Maybe some1 who knows a lot about the subject can look into it and work it out, what "custom thrott BIOS settings are needed etc.."
Thats my guess.

also.. this PC does the old; wakes up from sleep and the fan spins like crazy Full RPM and doesn't stop untill you restart the machine, i now set it to hibernate instead, sleep is off. lol

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've built several Ryzen gaming PCs dating back to the 1st gen. Using many different boards. AMD's stock coolers have never needed any attention at all. But if you are happy and temps are fine, then you should probably leave it like it is now.