Question My 5 month old computer is owerheating

Nov 3, 2019
Well... Ibought computer,

So I started playng War Thunder on Movie graphic (highest) and after a while screen goes black. look at computer and graphic card is not lighting up so i ssumed it owerheated. I checked behind the CPU fan (witch is hooked up on Sys fan 2 for some reason),and it was wery hot. So I unpluged it for half an hour and started playng again. So i decided that i would set both fans up to 100% and instaled MSI afterburner to set it to 100% on graphic card. So I looked on Ryzen master and saw that CPU HAS 86°C So I immediatly shut it of so my computer wouldnt owerheat.
The same thing happened with CS:GO.

Im kinda beginer in computers so ca anyone help me please?

if needed contact me on [redacted] please. - Moderator removed email, please do not provide personal email or phone in normal forum posts. Thanks. (rubix_1011)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ggfmb :)

Do not make assumptions re causes of overheating.
If a fan is overheating for whatever reason, replace it.
You should list your full system specs. Case, MB,PSU, CPU and Cooling system.
Conduct a stress test using AIDA64 with the system at default (no overclocks) for 10mins initially.
Report results including temps at the core and all rail voltages for analysis.
recommendations will then be given.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting. This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible.

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc.

If temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You need more fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

As it was fine a month ago I assume that your problem is either DUST or dried thermal paste.
or
paste replacement
will do the trick.

second option I can think of is PSU overheat, but it's way harder to deal with.

TRENDING THREADS