News My $863 Endgame Keyboard is Perfect…For Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P00P123

Prominent
Nov 7, 2020
The keyboard itself is $450 :) I have the price breakdown in there of how it gets to the total cost (it doesn't include switches or keycaps).

This is definitely an enthusiast product. Kind of like a nice set of golf clubs, but you would use this for daily work.
Still $400 overpriced.

P00P123

Prominent
Nov 7, 2020
That's how it goes with keyboard kits :)

So here's another thing to keep in mind (not justifying costs or anything, but explaining) -- a lot of times these kits are sold in small quantities. They might make 300, or 500, or 1000. A company like Logitech or Razer might make 50,000 on their first run of a new keyboard (just a guess, I have no idea). Since there are so few people, everyone shares the cost of manufacturing. So, they're more expensive because there is no big corporation with existing tooling to actually make it.

Switches and keycaps aren't included, as weird as it may seem, because a lot of enthusiasts want to choose their own. If they were included, the cost of the kit would be even higher!

With that in mind, you can totally find custom kits for $100-200. I reviewed one here that actually does have switches and keycaps for $169, IIRC. RAMA Works keyboards are pretty swank, so they're quite a bit more expensive.
But it's doesn't mean it's any better quality wise than large manufactured keyboards. I can buy a cheap $300 guitar that sounds just as good as a $2000 Gibson Les Paul. That's just how it is today.

P00P123

Prominent
Nov 7, 2020
..."the keyboards are boutique and produced in limited qualities quantities

The project seems excesive, but look at what people spend to pimp their cars. Purest Typing Enjoyment is less destructive drive than summa yalls pickups.
No I think these boutique keyboards are very limited in quality! Haha my $50 Viper v760 or whatever can do way more than a $900 keyboard and has much more value.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
It is just pure stupidity and lack of logicality to pay $863 for a PC keyboard. What's next $2546 headphone stand, $5632 PC case, $726 mouse bungee cable holder? $699 case wheels, $999 monitor stand? Oh wait...
Performance and looks do not correspond to its price at all. Personally this keyboard is at most ugly, not very practical and could cost $50 I would not buy it anyway and by the looks of it I am not alone here. No number pad? Probably the reason is that you need to pay $632 to get this massive upgrade.
Like Tom's says: " JUST BUY IT" LOL.

gamebynight

Commendable
Apr 27, 2021
No I think these boutique keyboards are very limited in quality! Haha my $50 Viper v760 or whatever can do way more than a $900 keyboard and has much more value.

Not to be rude, but that's just wrong. If you're talking about macros, the Viper runs on software. Any custom keyboard can do that with third party software, most gaming keyboards just have branded versions to do it.

The only area the Viper can one-up a keyboard like the one featured it in RGB lighting customizations.

Having used the Viper for a while myself, as well as more gaming keyboards than most people will ever own in a lifetime, I can tell you with certainty that this keyboard is far, far, FAR better made and much nicer to actually use.

And I'm not knocking the Viper. It's a great keyboard. They're just two completely different classes of product going for two completely different types of user.

Reactions: dangkhoahue
Jun 13, 2022
First of all, great piece. Been loving this keeb at first sight, and pure joy is what I feel now that I have it all assembled. Very compelling storytelling too! Don't be swayed by the outsiders.

Now, to address the current debate.

Hobbies are called hobbies for a reason. It is as easy to say that a $20 perform the same functions as a $5000 keycult, as it is that a $3 mouse do the same clicking as the hundred-dollar ones. Or $5 thrift headphones and the many grands audio system all output sounds, and at one point, we can't even tell between $100 and $1000. It is a hobby, and people know that they are getting diminishing returns.

But then again, the comfort of a $800 keyboard is that it is a collector's thing, that it is an emblem of your personality, that you can customize its feels and sound and colors to whatever you wish. That the brass plate of the U80 can highlight some very good switch sounds, or the thick bezels with diamond cutting to really swellllll on a camera shot. It is pure comfort, and hobby.

A mouse could have better DPIs, but at one point they all mean the same. You can also customize mouse switches, so why spend ridiculously on one?

A Casio watch can tell you the time even better than a Swedish custom, but people still get the latter, not just for use, but for the preference they like.

I get that it may sound and seem mental for someone to be so lavish over a keyboard hobby for an outsider, but you cannot judge it if you are into other hobbies. It is easy to justify for your own products, so let us enjoy what we do too. Or at least, sulk in your own corner. We don't sulk about your stuff, so let us do what we do.

Besides, to say advert for a RAMA in the keyboard scene... that is just funny. By the time this post reaches people, 1. It would have already ended the buying phase, and 2. Too many people on this than they can take in anyway. Don't speak something unless you are in it.

Cheers!

Sep 9, 2022
I'm trying to get additional keycaps for my moonlander (because 100$ + shipping seems a bit steep), but I'm completely overwhelmed

Is there a good store with reasonable refunds for a newbie like me to order keycaps?

Mostly so I can be confident that I can return stuff if I get one of the many details like profile, led, compatibility etc wrong.

Preferably in Europe and below 50$.

Status
Not open for further replies.