[SOLVED] My 9900K cpu is idle temp high between 33-38C with H150i Pro reaching 90-100 on prime95 test... Is it normal?

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
This is my HWMonitor report .... when CPU is idle

It reaches 90-100C when prime95 (Small FFT) test is run for about 20-30 seconds.....

Heres my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2NgQkd

Using H150i Pro as an AIO cooler with radiator top mounted and fan below radiator pushing air out of my Nzxt H700i case ....

Im thinking to change my thermal compound to "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut"... Can u guys suggest other things can be done in my built...

Solution
Screenshot #2 shows us exactly what we need to see.

In the "Maximum" column it shows that your 9900K is reaching peak Package Power at nearly 150 Watts. Further, it shows that Maximum Package temperature and Maximum Core temperature agree, just as expected. Since the processor's heat sources are at the transistor junctions deep within the Cores, and Package temperature is the hottest Core, it proves once again that Hardware Info is accurate, while Hardware Monitor is not.

If your ambient temperature was at "normal" room temperature which is 22°C, then your hottest Core (Package temperature) would be under 80°C, which is ideal for running Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's 100% TDP steady-state workload.

Accordingly, at your...

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
What is your ambient temperature?

Dumb question:
Did you remove the protective mylar film from your pump assembly?

Is the pump assembly evenly tightened down?

Are the front intake fans spinning?
Are the radiator fans spinning?

My ambient temp is usually 30C but at the time of that screenshot , My ambient temp was 20-21 C ...

I didnt understand whts pump assembly... in my H150i Pro I carefully assembled every part be it radiator and fans... there was no protective film below pump which touches the CPU , only thermal paste was there covered with plastic cover ...

all three radiator fans are spinning properly working

Pump and Fans status showing below in corsair iCue screenshot....

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Your idle temps look fairly normal, maybe slightly warm - 42-43 C, but if your ambient truly is 20-21 C, this seems very odd for 'idle' temps.

Are you certain CPU load is at 0% or less than 1%? (check the resource monitor in the task manager settings).

I don't think the pump is bad, otherwise your temps would continually climb towards 100 C and the system would shutdown. My thinking is that the cooler might not be seated really well on the CPU - are all the mounting screws for the cooler correctly installed and screwed down fully? I've seen where the mounting posts that support the CPU block bracket are not fully threaded in, creating a minor offset where the block does not fully seat on the CPU IHS. This would be seen by an irregular thermal paste patch if you were to shut down the PC and remove the cooling block/pump assembly.

Also, I have never really been fond of that pre-applied thermal compound on those coolers. Some of it is chalky and dried, some of it is very thick and grainy. When I do cooler tests, once I photograph the cooler base with the thermal compound, I clean it and use the same thermal compound for every test (for instance, Arctic MX-4).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Protective film is that clear plastic that covers the thermal paste. Be surprised at just how many ppl forget to remove that before installing the pump.

Does the pump move? It should be pretty solid against the cpu. Some motherboards are a fraction thinner and with the mount screws not fully tight, the backplate can be a little loose, which leaves temps high.

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
Your idle temps look fairly normal, maybe slightly warm - 42-43 C, but if your ambient truly is 20-21 C, this seems very odd for 'idle' temps.

Are you certain CPU load is at 0% or less than 1%? (check the resource monitor in the task manager settings).

I don't think the pump is bad, otherwise your temps would continually climb towards 100 C and the system would shutdown. My thinking is that the cooler might not be seated really well on the CPU - are all the mounting screws for the cooler correctly installed and screwed down fully? I've seen where the mounting posts that support the CPU block bracket are not fully threaded in, creating a minor offset where the block does not fully seat on the CPU IHS. This would be seen by an irregular thermal paste patch if you were to shut down the PC and remove the cooling block/pump assembly.

Also, I have never really been fond of that pre-applied thermal compound on those coolers. Some of it is chalky and dried, some of it is very thick and grainy. When I do cooler tests, once I photograph the cooler base with the thermal compound, I clean it and use the same thermal compound for every test (for instance, Arctic MX-4).

basically my AC is keeping my room bet 24-26C then my idle temps are 36-40

Also my cpu is never 0%, when im not doing anything its still under 5-7% load .... But may be my Windows 10 ent x64 >Power Options>Advance Settings>Processor power management>Minimum processor state Setting is set to 5% is preventing it....

I checkd again cooler screws are fully tightened ... meanwhile i ordered THERMAL GRIZZLY KRYONAUT paste ... will post the results after applying it...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Thermal Grizzly paste is really good, we'll see how your temps are after application.

If your CPU isn't truly idle, then those aren't idle temperatures. Ideally, the CPU would be at a point of maintaining 0% for several minutes. Spiking due to activity is to be expected...because it isn't actually sitting idle...it is doing work.

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
So I ordered Grizzy paste 3 days back and today I applied it but not much benefit i saw... See below ..... but it remain below 100C ... eariler it reached 100 within 4-5 minutes

I applied paste using X method and straight line method but I could not find much diff in temps onl 3-5 degs below ...

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
Thermal Grizzly paste is really good, we'll see how your temps are after application.

If your CPU isn't truly idle, then those aren't idle temperatures. Ideally, the CPU would be at a point of maintaining 0% for several minutes. Spiking due to activity is to be expected...because it isn't actually sitting idle...it is doing work.

I wasted my 6 hours applying Thermal Grizzly paste different ways like, using X method, line and dotted but in the end, I didnt find any significant diff in temperature ... now I used all my 1 gram paste but my prime95 with 100% CPU Load temps are as below....

Is it normal ??? My ambient (room) temp is 26-28 (I set my room AC temp to 28C)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
masti.faltoo,

Normal ambient room temperature is 22°C or 72°F, so yours is a bit high at 28°C, which causes your Core temperatures to run about 6°C high.

Regardless, the primary cause of your thermal problem is that you're running the wrong version of Prime95 ... you're using 29.4, which runs AVX code. This causes unrealistic Core temperatures up to 20°C higher.

Sorry you didn't get the memo, but this is a known issue.

You should be using version 26.6, which is the non-AVX 100% TDP version that complies with Intel's datasheets.

• Prime95 v26.6 - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

Run only Small FFT's.

The explanation is given here: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

See Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics & Section 12 - Thermal Test 100% Workload.

CT 😎

Reactions: masti.faltoo

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
masti.faltoo,

Normal ambient room temperature is 22°C or 72°F, so yours is a bit high at 28°C, which causes your Core temperatures to run about 6°C high.

Regardless, the primary cause of your thermal problem is that you're running the wrong version of Prime95 ... you're using 29.4, which runs AVX code. This causes unrealistic Core temperatures up to 20°C higher.

You should be using version 26.6, which is the non-AVX 100% TDP version that complies with Intel's datasheets.

Run only Small FFT's.

The explanation is given here: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

CT 😎

Thanks a lot for this precious info.... Nevertheless I wasted the 1 gram tube of thermal grizzly kryo experimenting for temps .... So I ordered one more tube of it which may arrive tomm.... In the meanwhile I applied a few drops remaining grizzly which was very less in qty and mixed with 6 year old arctic ceramique .... (bec i had to start my pc and had no other paste avail).... And I tested it with Prime95 v26.6 .... at 100% load it avg temp was 81-83C .... Idle temp is 38C when my ambient temp is 25C

Now waiting for the new paste to arrive and then check my temps again and forget it for next 5-6 years....

Last edited:

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
masti.faltoo,

Run only Small FFT's.

CT 😎

So I applied the thermal grizzly kryo again using line method (straight line in center) and checked with Prime95 v26.6 .... Also I put the paste package into warm water before applying to make it less viscous..
I checked IHS after pressing cooler... it covered only the 80% central portion of the IHS ... didnt cover the full IHS ... but I went ahead....

My result is as follows:

Ambient temp: 32 deg C
CPU Idle temp: 40-42 deg C (under win 10 theres always a load of min 2-4%)
CPU 100% under Prime95 Small FFT: HWMonitor Package temp 89-91C and some cores reaching 96C and some core 88C

Is it safe temps or should I try applying the paste again...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
masti.faltoo,

Thermal compound will continue to spread over time due to pressure, heat and thermal cycling.

Once the thermal compound has been applied, if you remove the water block to check the spread pattern, or for any reason, and then reinstall the water block without first removing and reapplying thermal compound, you can potentially introduce bubbles or voids, which will reduce thermal conductivity.

Also, "Package" temperature typically follows the hottest Core by +/_ a few degrees. I suspect your Package temperature may not be accurate, as reported by Hardware Monitor. Many monitoring utilities will mislabel, misreport or “offset” thermal values for various sensors, which can be highly confusing and misleading.

Hardware Info is instead frequently updated, is known to be quite accurate and is highly trusted and recommended over all other utilities for detailed system monitoring. Please download and run Hardware Info - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Select "Sensors Only" and compare the results.

Moreover, your ambient temperature is 10°C above the international standard for normal room temperature, which again is 22°C or 72°F. Keep in mind that if your ambient temperature was normal, then your Core temperatures would be 10°C lower. From that perspective, your Core temperatures would be reasonable.

CT 😎

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
masti.faltoo,

Thermal compound will continue to spread over time due to pressure, heat and thermal cycling.

Once the thermal compound has been applied, if you remove the water block to check the spread pattern, or for any reason, if you reinstall the water block without first removing and reapplying the thermal compound, you can potentially introduce bubbles or voids, which will reduce thermal conductivity.

Also, "Package" temperature typically follows the hottest Core by +/_ a few degrees. I suspect your Package temperature may not be accurate, as reported by Hardware Monitor. Many monitoring utilities will mislabel, misreport or “offset” thermal values for various sensors, which can be highly confusing and misleading.

Hardware Info is instead frequently updated, is known to be quite accurate and is highly trusted and recommended over all other utilities for detailed system monitoring. Please download and run Hardware Info - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Select "Sensors Only" and compare the results.

Moreover, your ambient temperature is 10°C above the international standard for normal room temperature, which again is 22°C or 72°F. Keep in mind that if your ambient temperature was normal, then your Core temperatures would be 10°C lower. From that perspective, your Core temperatures would be reasonable.

CT 😎

After reading ur comments I think i hv to reapply the paste bec I applied paste when my PC was in standing position.... the water block slipped a bit while applying the screws but i thought its ok bec eventually the pressure will spread the paste .... but may be i was wrong ... will try reapplying the paste and post the results again

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
Please be sure to use "Hardware Info" instead of Hardware Monitor. 😎
Yes, I also use the same... but smtime check on hwmonitor also....

Can u plz analyse the following screenshot of hwinfo64....Sometimes i feel like this is normal but I dont understand why my 9900k cpu core ratio remain 47x when im im not doing anything, my earlier cpu 3770K lower the clock when according to usage...

Ambient Temp: 30C (Approx)

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Although your 3770K had "SpeedStep", it didn't have "Speed Shift".

Speed Shift is a technology that instantly increases clock speeds so that background tasks and momentary light loads are completed much more rapidly than with "SpeedStep". Then just as rapidly, the processor returns to idle to save power. As a result, the processor is more responsive, so thermal behavior is quite different.

6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th through 9th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of clock speeds, Core voltages and Core temperatures which rapidly "spike" or fluctuate. These behaviors are completely normal and expected.

Concerning your screenshot, you can see that in the "Minimum" column, Core Clock for all Cores did indeed reached complete "idle" at some point, which is about 800MHz. However, in the "Current" column, Clock and Thread Usage is varied, which means at that particular moment, the processor was not at complete "idle", which is only 1 or 2%.

Moreover, you can see that in the "Maximum" column, Core Clock for all Cores had reached peak values, but Thread Usage varied widely, which means the processor was never anywhere near 100% workload. If you had instead taken the screenshot after running Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's, then the results would've been much more revealing due to the steady-state 100% TDP workload.

Also, If you had included a second screenshot showing Package temperature, as well as Package Power, the results would again be more revealing, which would show whether there's a difference in Package temperature between Hardware Info as compared to Hardware Monitor.

masti.faltoo

Commendable
Jan 30, 2019
Although your 3770K had "SpeedStep", it didn't have "Speed Shift".

Speed Shift is a technology that instantly increases clock speeds so that background tasks and momentary light loads are completed much more rapidly than with "SpeedStep". Then just as rapidly, the processor returns to idle to save power. As a result, the processor is more responsive, so thermal behavior is quite different.

6th Generation processors introduced "Speed Shift" technology in Windows 10, which responds much faster to changes in workload than "SpeedStep" due to having many more Core speed and Core voltage transition levels.

Since 7th through 9th Generation Speed Shift is twice as fast as 6th Generation, some users complain of clock speeds, Core voltages and Core temperatures which rapidly "spike" or fluctuate. These behaviors are completely normal and expected.

Concerning your screenshot, you can see that in the "Minimum" column, Core Clock for all Cores did indeed reached complete "idle" at some point, which is about 800MHz. However, in the "Current" column, Clock and Thread Usage is varied, which means at that particular moment, the processor was not at complete "idle", which is only 1 or 2%.

Moreover, you can see that in the "Maximum" column, Core Clock for all Cores had reached peak values, but Thread Usage varied widely, which means the processor was never anywhere near 100% workload. If you had instead taken the screenshot after running Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's, then the results would've been much more revealing due to the steady-state 100% TDP workload.

Also, If you had included a second screenshot showing Package temperature, as well as Package Power, the results would again be more revealing, which would show whether there's a difference in Package temperature between Hardware Info as compared to Hardware Monitor.

Thanks for this precious... I can now understand what I missed bet my 3rd gen and 9th gen proc ... thats why its was such a pain upgrading system from 3770k to 9900k ... it was completely a new experience...
anyway i again applied the kryo paste again with ur suggested method with pea size drop and probable no bubble.... Idle temp showing in bios is 31-33C and now my prime95 26.6 test are maxed to 80-84 ... with my room AC running at 28C

Following are my screenshots of HWiNfo64 when prime95 was running small FFT's

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Screenshot #2 shows us exactly what we need to see.

In the "Maximum" column it shows that your 9900K is reaching peak Package Power at nearly 150 Watts. Further, it shows that Maximum Package temperature and Maximum Core temperature agree, just as expected. Since the processor's heat sources are at the transistor junctions deep within the Cores, and Package temperature is the hottest Core, it proves once again that Hardware Info is accurate, while Hardware Monitor is not.

If your ambient temperature was at "normal" room temperature which is 22°C, then your hottest Core (Package temperature) would be under 80°C, which is ideal for running Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's 100% TDP steady-state workload.

Accordingly, at your current settings, everything checks out fine. Enjoy your rig!

CT 😎

Solution