My acer aspire 5736Z hdd password forgotten

carldzikz

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
pls my i try setting my hdd password but i forgot the password leaving the laptop unbootable.pls help me boot it.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
1. Please don't start multiple threads with the same subject.

2. If the Admin password does not allow you access to the drive then you MUST have the hdd password.

Even if you put the drive in another pc you won't have access to it (a hdd password is encoded on the disk). You can't even format it and use it again.

The HD password is set together with the BIOS password, completely locking in all the hardware.

To the best of my knowledge, even your hard disk manufacturer isn't able to unlock a password protected hard disk, as there aren’t any “secret” master passwords build into the firmware.

Even swapping the controller of the password-protected hard disk with exactly the same controller from an unprotected HD will not remove the protection on most disks, as the password (together with most of the firmware) is also stored on the hard disk itself.

If the the BIOS password and hard disk lock passwords are the same, then you can recover the BIOS password directly from the laptop security chip (after it is removed from the system board).

However, if the BIOS password and hard disk lock passwords are different, the BIOS password will not unlock the hard disk.

There are Data recovery softwares available on the net like this one that can do the job, but it's mostly fairly expensive though.

You can also try to download backtrack, burn image to dvd and then visit their website again to obtain tutorial for backtrack password penetration.

Not sure if this will get bios stored passwords but it will work with anything in storage..

carldzikz

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
u see my pal went into my bios security setting and activated password on both my sata hard drive and the bios password.i recovered the bios password but the hard drive password is still on.so i subscribe hear insearch of solutions on how to unlock my hard drive....

I don't think there is a way to reset the drive password without knowing it. You can try to reset the BIOS totally (take out the CMOS battery for a few seconds with the computer unplugged) that would clear passwords. But the drive password may be set in the bios of the drive. May need to contact the PC vendor for help.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
You can always use a data recovery/penetration software like the ones I linked you to in my first post and see how it goes.

Also, if you don't have anything immensely valuable on that disk, it'll prolly be a whole lot cheaper just to get a new hdd for under $50 in the US (shouldn't cost you more than 40 Euros if you're in Europe).

TRENDING THREADS