Question My AM2 Motherboard has ddr3 in it, so is it AM3?

Dec 12, 2020
So, I have been looking forward to upgrading my CPU, I looked on my motherboard to see that it stated AM2 but is using ddr3 memory which was odd since AM2 motherboards only support ddr2. I went and looked at another AM2 motherboard I had and saw that it was using ddr2. I wanted to troubleshoot it even further with an AM2 CPU but I didn't have any at hand. The is Motherboard is MB.NBU01.001 from the machine Emachines Et 1352-01

Dec 12, 2020
The processer is the AMD Athlon II X2 215. The CPU does support Am2+ and Am3, my suspicion is that the motherboard is Am3 but eMachines went out of business in 2013 so more information about the motherboard is not as easily available.

Dec 12, 2020
actually from all the google searches, it shows that the board has am2 socket and use ddr3 ram...
MB.NBU01.001 Motherboard uATX Desktop AM2 DDR3 Integrated nVidia GeForce 6150 SE | eBay
i got some info from this site... also EMACHINES MOTHERBOARD ET1352-01 MB.NBU01.001 MBNBU01001 - Newegg.com

In Wikipedia it states this in Am3 "Socket AM3 processors are able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards with appropriate bios updates, but not vice versa. AM3 processors have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 and AM2+ processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards." So does this make this a Am3 Motherboard with barebone features? Also, can I upgrade to the AMD Phenom II X4 955?

In Wikipedia it states this in Am3 "Socket AM3 processors are able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards with appropriate bios updates, but not vice versa. AM3 processors have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 and AM2+ processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards." So does this make this a Am3 Motherboard with barebone features? Also, can I upgrade to the AMD Phenom II X4 955?
First of all, do u have the latest bios for that motherboard??? Try and find the latest bios before trying anything coz without that bios, it wont be much helpful...

Dec 12, 2020
First of all, do u have the latest bios for that motherboard??? Try and find the latest bios before trying anything coz without that bios, it wont be much helpful...

Finding a latest bios for the motherboard will be hard, since the death of eMachines. I doubt that there is much support for the motherboard.