Question My AMD Eight Core 4 GHz processor stuck below 2 GHz

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
I have an AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core processor that has a base speed of 4.00 GHz and recently i've noticed a dramatic decrease in performance. After monitoring the CPU's speed in Task manager, i've noticed that the CPU almost never reaches past 1.95 GHz even during intense gaming. The only thing I might have guessed to be the problem is when i noticed the Adjusted CPU Frequency in the bios reads as 2.00 ghz. or is this normal for my processor?

xrobwx71

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020

DSzymborski

Titan
I haven't figured out how to monitor temperatures for my CPU yet but once I do i will report back. Would high temperatures throttle the CPU? i figured the PC would shut off by that point.
PSU is 800 watts.

MSI 970A-G46

Not a wattage, the brand and model. That's a bit like saying you drive a 175-inch long car.

Reading temperatures is a garbage fire for FX CPUs; you really need to be looking at the thermal margin in AMD Overdrive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the motherboard is starting to die. These inexpensive 4+1 phase motherboards have a disastrous record with 125W FX CPUs.

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Not a wattage, the brand and model. That's a bit like saying you drive a 175-inch long car.

Reading temperatures is a garbage fire for FX CPUs; you really need to be looking at the thermal margin in AMD Overdrive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the motherboard is starting to die. These inexpensive 4+1 phase motherboards have a disastrous record with 125W FX CPUs.
Apparently AMD overdrive is discontinued and i couldnt find a way to download it

If it is indeed the motherboard like you said what motherboard or cpu would you recommend

DSzymborski

Titan

minomehed

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Check your power and sleep settings once. It could be possible that you left your pc in power saving mode accidentally. In that case, cpu won't clock above 2ghz.
My power settings were set to "better performance" and after changing it to "best performance" mode i noticed almost no difference.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-overdrive-download.html

AMD's moved past the AM3+ CPUs.

I don't recommend spending money on a decade-old platform. Your best bet would be to underclock the 8350 to see if there's a level at which it is stable.

Still need PSU info.

Okay i'm back and i have some new information.
PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80
My CPU temperatures are not reading correctly anymore after checking HWmonitor and AMD overdrive. HWmonitor reports CPU stuck at 80 degrees. And AMD Overdrive is showing it stuck at -10 degree thermal margin. The weird part is that neither of numbers change, even when stress testing the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS