[SOLVED] My AMD Radeon HD 7970 overheats only at 70C

Sep 13, 2021
Hello! Sorry for my English.

Well, the title says It. It never happened before and starts happening constantly, giving me artifacts. The card is about 7 years old. Drivers are new (I tried different ones). No overclocking.

I guess I can try to apply new thermal paste or rise a fan spin up which would make annoying loud noise in my room but maybe someone know what could cause a graphics card overheats even at low temperature?

Solution
Oh, so it's not a blower/turbo.

Something else that could happen, is high thermals causing certain components on the PCB to become loose - hot and cold cycles cause things to expand and contract - but then you'd likely see crashing and video signal dropping.
So that's why I figure it's just some dust; it does act as an insulator.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't overheat when I set fan spin at 100%, but this noise from the fans is annoing.
It's a turbo/blower model, right?
The design isn't very efficient. The radial fan needs to have enough 'umph' to move air across the length of the gpu and exit.
This can't really be done unless the fan rpm is high, otherwise the air kinda loses its strength before it gets to the exit(the rear).

Reactions: Hunter8j
Sep 13, 2021
I don't really know which model is it, AIDA says AMD Radeon HD 7970 (Tahiti). I think this one https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-hd-7970-100351sr/p/N82E16814202008 (looks and specs very similar at least).

The second fan doesn't spin until I set fan speed at 82%+ (was that way since I bought it). And thats enough to prevent overheating (don't actually need to set all the way 100%).

The thing is some time ago I remember the temperature goes 80C+ and It works just fine even during a hot summer but now it didn't hold even 70C+. I guess the design is poor when the second fan doesn't spin even when the card is about to overheats but It worked before.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, so it's not a blower/turbo.

Something else that could happen, is high thermals causing certain components on the PCB to become loose - hot and cold cycles cause things to expand and contract - but then you'd likely see crashing and video signal dropping.
So that's why I figure it's just some dust; it does act as an insulator.

Reactions: Hunter8j
Solution
Sep 13, 2021
Well, actually, some times It's just some artifacts and graphics glitches, another is artifacts that freazes the whole OS and only reset on system block helps and one time after such a freaze I couldn't start my OS because the signal on a monitor wasn't there.

The graphics card doesn't seem too dusty though but I defenetly
wipe all the dust away and see what happened.

Sep 13, 2021
The fans RPM is about 3300 at 100% what AMD Radeon Software says.
I'm not sure if I can trust this though, becouse It doesn't matter ether I set to 100% or 82% It's only 100 RPM difference and when I set It below 82% (doesn't matter 81% or 25%) the RPM always the same 150ish.
AIDA also shows the same RPM as AMD Radeon Software.

But when I increasing fan speed, say from 25% to 81% I can clearly hear the noise from the fans getting louder and temperature on the card is dropping a litle bit, though It shows the same 150ish RPM. It's kinda weird.

The fans RPM is about 3300 at 100% what AMD Radeon Software says.
That sounds about right

I'm not sure if I can trust this though, becouse It doesn't matter ether I set to 100% or 82% It's only 100 RPM difference and when I set It below 82% (doesn't matter 81% or 25%) the RPM always the same 150ish.
AIDA also shows the same RPM as AMD Radeon Software.

If I remember correctly going from 100% down to 80%, should drop the speed by around 500 rpm

But when I increasing fan speed, say from 25% to 81% I can clearly hear the noise from the fans getting louder and temperature on the card is dropping a litle bit, though It shows the same 150ish RPM. It's kinda weird.
On my card one fan was spinning just fine but the other was very slow.
It was only reporting the fan has the fastest speed.

Sep 13, 2021
On my card one fan was spinning just fine but the other was very slow.
It was only reporting the fan has the fastest speed.

In my case the second fan doesn't even spin before 82%. So the software has to show RPM of the only fan that works, the first one.
And It shows 150 RPM no matter which spining speed I set (25% or 81).

Anyways I have cleaned the graphics card from a dust and applied new termal paste. The temperature on the core droped about 10C to 60C.
I hope this would be enogh to prevent that other component from overheating. Thank you!

Sep 15, 2021
I'm not sure if I can trust this though, becouse It doesn't matter ether I set to 100% or 82% It's only 100 RPM difference and when I set It below 82% (doesn't matter 81% or 25%) the RPM always the same 150ish. mx player

Last edited: