[SOLVED] My Asus b550-f gaming doesn't turn off my power saving strip when off

Jul 15, 2021
My Asus b550-f gaming doesn't turn off my power saving strip when in SOFT OFF state. If I manully flick the off switch on the power supply unit, it does indeed cut power on the power strip.

I tried tweaking multiple settings:
  • Disable USB power when off
  • ErP ready enabled in S4+S5 states
Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Bonus info:
  • Power strip says minimum power is 20 watt
  • Power supply is Corsair RM750x
Any clue what's going on here?

Solution
Unfortunately I don't have easy access to one and buying one seems excessive.

I have the speakers and the monitors on the same strip but only the first plug is "magic" and controls the others. The first one connects to my PSU.
A modern computer PSU uses always-active circuitry to turn on. While it's very small that circuit will always be drawing a current as long as line voltage is applied even if 5 VSB to the motherboard is disabled. If the power strip is sensitive enough it will never shut off as long as the PSU is connected to line voltage. You can flip the rocker switch on the back of the PSU unit (if it has one) to completely disconnect it from line voltage and then the power strip should function.
Jul 15, 2021
It's a power strip that cuts off power to all plugs unless the first plug is drawing x amount of power - the idea being that turning your main device off will turn off e.g. speakers, monitors etc.

Jul 15, 2021
get a plug in power meter to double check the power draw

I have the speakers and the monitors on the same strip but only the first plug is "magic" and controls the others. The first one connects to my PSU.

A modern computer PSU uses always-active circuitry to turn on. While it's very small that circuit will always be drawing a current as long as line voltage is applied even if 5 VSB to the motherboard is disabled. If the power strip is sensitive enough it will never shut off as long as the PSU is connected to line voltage. You can flip the rocker switch on the back of the PSU unit (if it has one) to completely disconnect it from line voltage and then the power strip should function.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 15, 2021
You can flip the rocker switch on the back of the PSU unit (if it has one) to completely disconnect it from line voltage and then the power strip should function.

Yeah, and that does work but it's wildly inconvenient due to the placement of the computer. My previous motherboard worked fine with the same power strip, albeit with a different PSU.

I should probably just get an adjustable power saving strip that lets me set the sensitivity. I think I might have one that triggers via USB instead of power draw. That could work if I connected the computer to another strip or directly to the wall.