my asus laptop's touch pad wont work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nahani

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
please help my laptop (ASUS) (windows 8) Mouse pad will not work. I have turned the computer on and off it will move for around 1 minute and then freeze I have plugged in a mouse and it works. what do I do to get the touch pad to work again?

_ARCH_ANGEL_

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
ASUS TOUCHPAD ISSUES SOLVED
THE PROBLEM- Jumpy mouse, poor interface, and iffy scroll, especially when typing... Intermittent Freezing and sometimes TOTAL loss of touchpad functionality.
THE CAUSE- Poor shielding on the underside of the touchpad, making it way more sensitive to outside interference, and static interference from within when pressure is applied.
THE FIX- I opened my laptop, removed the flimsy metal shielding from the underside of the touchpad, covered the entire touchpad area with electrical tape (cleanly done, of course), put the shielding back in place and then cover that with electrical tape as well. There is plenty of room, and there is no bulging after reassembly.
THE RESULT- I have complete responsiveness, functional palmcheck, no jumpy mouse, put a couple drops of water on my touch pad and ran my finger around (still works!), and I simply cannot recreate the pressure related touchpad problem.

**(Removing the metal shield may or may not apply to you depending on the type of laptop and model... I have Asus Q500A, and it has no metal shield, I simply taped up the entire backside of touchpad only leaving the Connector visible. I then taped the metal bar that controls the left and right click... then I re-set the METAL strip of tape that bridges the touchpad to the laptop, Once set... I placed some tape over the METAL strip as well. I even went as far to tape some of the connection ribbons inside before closing it all up. NO MORE ISSUES)

Faye__G

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I had the exact same issue with the touchpad and cursor. I tried fn+f9, uninstall smart gesture and reinstall for windows 10, command prompt...None of these worked. I then just uninstall smart gesture and all of it's components, shut the laptop down wait a few minutes and boot back up, low and behold the computer reinstalled smart gesture and my touchpad and cursor is back and working properly. The issue is a corrupt file.
If other suggestions fail, then do this.
I have ASUS X553MA laptop, upgraded the RAM, Graphics card.
The only thing I would advise is to have a professional computer tech do this for you. If you try to do it yourself, be careful no to rip out the ribbon when opening the keyboard it is very fragile ( connects touchpad to circuit board and keys to a smaller circuit board) and the battery is in there also towards the back unlike HP which is on the underside of their laptop.

Faye__G

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

I had the exact same issue with the touchpad and cursor. I tried fn+f9, uninstall smart gesture and reinstall for windows 10, command prompt...None of these worked. I then just uninstall smart gesture and all of it's components, shut the laptop down wait a few minutes and boot back up, low and behold the computer reinstalled smart gesture and my touchpad and cursor is back and working properly. The issue is a corrupt file.
If other suggestions fail, then do this.
I have ASUS X553MA laptop, upgraded the RAM, Graphics card.
The only thing I would advise is to have a professional computer tech do this for you. If you try to do it yourself, be careful no to rip out the ribbon when opening the keyboard it is very fragile ( connects touchpad to circuit board and keys to a smaller circuit board) and the battery is in there also towards the back unlike HP which is on the underside of their laptop.

Jayharsh

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

Bostic1

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

Some people online are amazing and some are simply awesome. You my anonymous friend are both. Thank you for this simple but effective post!

trailfan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

Yes!!!!!! I couldn't find the answer anywhere and Windows takes over all possible solutions and doesn't know the ASUS system, nor do I lol!

Thanks a million!

Praju11

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016

Thanks a ton Lintaa :)
I purchased a new Asus laptop a couple of weeks ago and then suddenly my touchpad started freezing everytime I turned my system on. I was so frustrated:(... But then fortunately I came across this post and this simple trick worked for me.... God bless you:)

Porterfield

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I am also using Windows 8 for over 6 months. But I am getting stuck somewhere. Because when I open my computer it takes time to open and also open the program. What can I do for this?

W4NT3D_01

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Hi nahani. i have encounter the same probleme whit the laptop of cliant. the key to active the touch pad did not work so i did try to remove the driver en reinstalle but no luck for me again. so i whent in the bios and i found the option to activate the touch pad. and it work for me.

racfl14

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

First check if you have it turned off by pressing fn and f9 at the same time, then checking to see if it moves. If it still wont work after that, Weirdly enough, the solution that worked for me was to uninstall the asus smart gesture driver! your computer will default to a windows driver for your touchpad, and then if its a software problem, it should work just fine. If it still doesnt work after that, it may be a hardware problem with the wire connecting your mousepad to your motherboard.