Question My Asus monitor runs Pixel Cleaning everytime it turns off ?

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Monitor: ASUS OLED PG27AQDM with Pixel Cleaning

Hi, I'm new to OLED, this being my first monitor, I just have some questions and concerns that ASUS can't seem to clarify on their own website and forums.

Regarding the Pixel Cleaning feature, I'm told it dims the panel over times so it shouldn't be run regularly. However, my monitor runs a Pixel Cleaning every time, even if the panel has been on for only one minute.
I can tell this by letting it go into stand-by and the ROG LOGO will blink to indicate a Pixel Cleaning has started. Supposedly it runs a Pixel Cleaning on shutdown, but there is no indicator as to whether it is or not, but according to ASUS it is running one.

My concerns are these:
1) Does everyday Pixel Cleaning harm the panels brightness over time?

2) Apparently, manual Pixel Cleaning in the settings should only be done for emergencies as it reduces the life of the panel, so I'm wondering if there's a difference between auto and manual Pixel Cleaning?

Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Referencing ", I'm told it dims the panel over times so it shouldn't be run regularly."

Source(s), links?

= = = =

This monitor?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/PG27AQDM/ASUS_PG27AQDM_UM_EN.pdf?model=PG27AQDM

Verify that I found the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Pixel Cleaning is mentioned on Page 3-10. Overall, the information is a bit confusing....

There is a reference to "Pixel Cleaning Cycle Reminder: Sets a reminder for user to perform the Pixel Cleaning."

Which may be the manual Pixel Cleaning you mentioned via Concern 2).

Are you able to work through the monitor's menu screens and take a photograph or two showing the "Reminder" screen?

You can post the photograph(s) here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

No immediate answer but more needs to be known.

And/or additional posts by members using that monitor.

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Referencing ", I'm told it dims the panel over times so it shouldn't be run regularly."

Source(s), links?

= = = =

This monitor?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/PG27AQDM/ASUS_PG27AQDM_UM_EN.pdf?model=PG27AQDM

Verify that I found the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Pixel Cleaning is mentioned on Page 3-10. Overall, the information is a bit confusing....

There is a reference to "Pixel Cleaning Cycle Reminder: Sets a reminder for user to perform the Pixel Cleaning."

Which may be the manual Pixel Cleaning you mentioned via Concern 2).

Are you able to work through the monitor's menu screens and take a photograph or two showing the "Reminder" screen?

You can post the photograph(s) here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

No immediate answer but more needs to be known.

And/or additional posts by members using that monitor.
Hi apologies if this reply is a little all over the place, I'm not really used to forum posting!

"I'm told it dims the panel over times so it shouldn't be run regularly." I cannot find the source, it was on a forum post, that says the manual pixel clean should be run no more than twice a year, as it can affect uniformity, and the vibrancy of the panel. Granted that's not verbatim, but i've gone through my search history and can't find the post, and also word of mouth that OLEDS in general should not be pixel cleaned every day, granted again no tangible sources I can reference.

You have the correct user manual.

Here is the two photo's required:

View: https://imgur.com/a/DDJj1h1
- I can offer additional info on this, as I did some testing in the last couple of days, the 'pixel cleaning reminder' is simply a reminder, and does not interfere with pixel cleaning, pixel cleaning initiated as 5 miniutes after 'No Signal' to the monitor EVERY TIME, regardless of how long the previous clean was, I tested this by running an auto pixel clean by letting it go into stand-by, after the pixel clean, I turned the monitor on, and cut the signal again, and it cleaned again, so it did two cleans in my test which took around 20-30 minutes.

I will try and look for these posts in the meantime!

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to simply turn Pixel Cleaning off as an iterim action pending more information.

Google ""What is pixel cleaning?"

Overall, it reminds me of times past when a continually displayed (static) image could become permanent.

Hence "screen savers".

And visit the Asus website:

I found these links.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq...ng: It calibrates any,while it is in progress.

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-monitors/pixel-cleaning-questions-pg27aqdm/td-p/919075

From the second link:

"*Pixel Cleaning: It calibrates any issues that might arise on the screen when your monitor has been turned on for a long time. The process will take approximately 6 minutes. This function will automatically activate when the monitor turns off. Do not unplug the power cord while it is in progress. If you power on the monitor, the Pixel Cleaning will stop operating."

= = = =

Hopefully there will OLED users from within Tom's Hardware who can comment as applicable and appropriate.

Reactions: MINIRED

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
My suggestion is to simply turn Pixel Cleaning off as an iterim action pending more information.

Google ""What is pixel cleaning?"

Overall, it reminds me of times past when a continually displayed (static) image could become permanent.

Hence "screen savers".

And visit the Asus website:

I found these links.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1048131/#:~:text=Pixel cleaning: It calibrates any,while it is in progress.

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-monitors/pixel-cleaning-questions-pg27aqdm/td-p/919075

From the second link:

"*Pixel Cleaning: It calibrates any issues that might arise on the screen when your monitor has been turned on for a long time. The process will take approximately 6 minutes. This function will automatically activate when the monitor turns off. Do not unplug the power cord while it is in progress. If you power on the monitor, the Pixel Cleaning will stop operating."

= = = =

Hopefully there will OLED users from within Tom's Hardware who can comment as applicable and appropriate.
Unfortunately, there's no way to disable it I don't belive, however I appreciate your time, thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
You are certainly welcome.

However, are you saying that if Pixel Cleaning is turned off via the menu choice(s) that Pixel Cleaning still runs?

By "disable" do you mean that your requirement is that Pixel Cleaning is not even presented as an option of any sort?

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
You are certainly welcome.

However, are you saying that if Pixel Cleaning is turned off via the menu choice(s) that Pixel Cleaning still runs?

By "disable" do you mean that your requirement is that Pixel Cleaning is not even presented as an option of any sort?
Unfortunately, there is no option to toggle Pixel Cleaning on or off, it will run every time, Unless I cut the power every time I switch it off.