Question My asus vivobook boots from usb drives but not the internal sata/ssd drives. Why?

Jul 21, 2023
Hey all,
So I got an Asus vivobook 15 (model: x505za) as a hand me down. The reason was 'it suddenly stopped booting.'

Thing is, the laptop boots directly into the fancy matrix looking Bios screen and it shows the internal ssd/sata drive installed and detectable. It also shows any bootable usb as... A bootable usb. When I boot from the usb to install operating systems it works perfectly fine. It will detect, install onto internal drive and exit just fine.

But as soon as I boot without the usb, the machine just will not boot using the internal drive. Has anyone faced this? Below are the specs:

Cpu: amd ryzen 2500u
8gb ram
256gb nvme add

Not sure what else you'll need. Just ask and thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In BIOS, can you see the make and model of the SSD in the laptop? You might want to elaborate on what the bootable USB drive is, i.e, what OS it is and where you sourced the installer for the OS.

You might want to see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates as well...you will need a donor system to verify the laptop's current and latter BIOS versions, mind you.

Jul 21, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!
Thanks much!

In BIOS, can you see the make and model of the SSD in the laptop?
Yes I can, In fact I added another ssd to the system just to ensure it wasn't a faulty drive or sata port, both drives, their positions (sata0, sata1 etc.) their manufacturer info (nxz and samsung respectively) , and their correct capacities showed up.
You might want to elaborate on what the bootable USB drive is, i.e, what OS it is and where you sourced the installer for the OS.
I've tried win 7 x64 in the past and the most recent attempt was with Linux (specifically QuarkOS a derivative of Ubuntu). I sourced the image from the official site on sourceforge. I have used this image before to install and run the os on other machines, so I know it works.

You might want to see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates as well...you will need a donor system to verify the laptop's current and latter BIOS versions, mind you
The bios for this seems to be the latest one off the Asus site for this particular vivobook, again sourced it from asus's support site.

Hope that helps!

TRENDING THREADS