Question My BIOS keeps forgetting my SSDs - ocasionally

Jan 31, 2020
Specs:
Asus ROG X570-F Gaming
32gb 3600Mhz Trident Z CL16 Gskill Ram
AMD Ryzen 3700X
Asus ROG GTX 970
Crucial MX500 1TB x 2 (one Ubuntu, one Windows 10)
Toshiba 1TB HDD (just storage, old hand me down)
WD Blue 500gb HDD (just storage)
BIOS Version 1405 X64 (latest bios driver from Asus)
Operating systems Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 18.04 both updated to latest.
Description:
So I am dual booting Windows and Ubuntu. I have the 2 SSD drives and each of them has one OS. I want to boot into Ubuntu for grub loader obviously so that's what I set in my BIOS under 'Boot' and disable the other options.
This works just fine with no issues.
However, if I shut down the PC then the next day (or some random semi-long time frame) I get booted into the BIOS and no drives, besides one of my HDDs I use for storage, are detected in the 'Boot' menu. I then shut down the computer, and power cycle, then after about a minute I turn it back on and the drives are there and I can set my boot order again and boot into Windows or Ubuntu just fine. Without power cycling though, both of my SSDs are forgotten and the hard drives are random if they're forgotten or not.
This is where I don't know how to further troubleshoot, if I restart my PC right now from Windows 10 or Ubuntu then the boot order is fine. If I restart PC for Windows update then it's also fine. Within 2-3 hours it's also fine. But tomorrow, it will have forgotten the drives. I'm quite sick of power cycling my PC.
Things I've tried:
  • Got a new CMOS battery just in case there was an issue with it
  • Move sata cables for my drives between 7-8 and 1-2 slots to see if it makes a difference
  • Update BIOS to latest version and update both operating systems
  • Reset grub bootloader to default
I've exhausted my googling skills, so I was hoping somebody here could help. Thanks a lot.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Add up the current component wattage load. If a wattage range is given use the high value wattage. For GPU - use the recommended PSU wattage.

After totaling the wattage - add 25%. How does that end value compare to the existing PSU wattage?

Jan 31, 2020
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Add up the current component wattage load. If a wattage range is given use the high value wattage. For GPU - use the recommended PSU wattage.

After totaling the wattage - add 25%. How does that end value compare to the existing PSU wattage?

Thanks for replying!

My PSU is Corsair 750 W RM750x Fully Modular ATX in brand new condition.
Using something like this calculator https://outervision.com/b/RyXAzO shows me that my PSU is well above the recommended wattage.

If the issue was with the PSU surely it would fail under load? It plays games just fine and I ran benchmarks without any crashes or errors. In Ubuntu as well I don't get any issues, running Docker containers and using up the RAM really well. It's only on boot that it presents issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted that you moved SATA cables - did you try other known working SATA cables: data and power? Swap the cables.

Power-cycling....

Do you use the normal windows shutdown process to shutdown? I.e., via "Shut down and sign out" using a right click on the Windows icon?

Likewise for Ubunto?

No hard power offs while Windows or Ubunto is running?

You can look in Window's Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events relating to the "loss" of the SSD's or perhaps other corresponding errors.

Jan 31, 2020
Noted that you moved SATA cables - did you try other known working SATA cables: data and power? Swap the cables.

Power-cycling....

Do you use the normal windows shutdown process to shutdown? I.e., via "Shut down and sign out" using a right click on the Windows icon?

Likewise for Ubunto?

No hard power offs while Windows or Ubunto is running?

You can look in Window's Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events relating to the "loss" of the SSD's or perhaps other corresponding errors.
I'll swap out the cables to make sure. And get back to you.

For powering off I always use the normal shutdown process for both OSs. No hard power offs.

Windows' Reliability History doesn't report anything out of the ordinary for the SSDs.

This issue is a bit hard to diagnose because it happens over a longer period of time like a day, shutting off and on again will always work just as expected.

Ralston18

Titan
Here is a link that should help you doublecheck the dual boot configuration:

https://hackernoon.com/installing-u...t-installation-for-deep-learning-f4cd91b58557

Also: are you familiar with "bcdedit"

FYI:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/boot-options-identifiers

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/bcd-boot-options-reference

Read the above links and do additional googling/reading as necessary.

As always, ensure that everything is backed up and verified recoverable and readable if you decide to make changes.