My BIOS won't Boot the Drive in Sata-1 unless there's No Drive connected to Sata-0

Andrew Neal

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
This is unlike any issue I could find a solution for ANYWHERE.

My motherboard is Dell 0PU052 (Proprietary Dell Optiplex 755 SFF board), running BIOS Revision A22, the latest as far as i know. And my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I recently installed A secondary HDD in place of the CD Drive that was originally in the SATA-1 spot. I partitioned the ~300GB drive roughly in half, so two ~149GB parts. One of the partitions is for storage, and I labeled it as such, formatted as ntfs, and was assigned drive letter 'D' in Windows. On the other partition, I formatted as ext4 and installed Linux Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit, but I did this with my Windows 7 drive disconnected just to stay safe. Ubuntu boots no matter which SATA port I plug its drive into, but if I reverse the drives so Ubuntu gets first priority so I can use the Grub boot manager, Windows doesn't boot if its in SATA-1 instead of 0.

Now this brings me to why I posted this in Motherboards; only one of my "On Board SATA Devices" shows up in the boot order in my BIOS. Both show up in the storage/drive sections, but not in Boot Order. My best guess is that they're being lumped together? Because it says "On Board SATA Device", as opposed to "SATA Device 0", etc..

When I hit F12 while the BIOS is loading to go into the boot menu, same thing. No secondary boot device. I can boot from USB, CD or even Floppy, but not my secondary HDD if the primary one is plugged in.

SATA is in ATA mode as it was when I got the system, and I don't want to go through the hassle of setting Windows and (possibly) Ubuntu as well to use AHCI.

Now I know I could install a boot manager into the Windows bootloader, but before I resort to that, is there a way that I could fix this issue?

Any help it greatly appreciated.

If this is in the wrong section please relocate it, as Motherboards seemed fit to me.

Solution
Well I figured it out a couple days ago. I found out that a lot of Dell BIOSs do lump boot drives together if they're plugged into the SATA ports. I've installed a boot manager and everything works fine.

My PC was disconnected from the internet while editing this, so I'm not writing the whole thing again. Basically, I can boot into Grub from the Windows boot menu and then into Ubuntu, and I don't mind the extra step.

Andrew Neal

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
Well I figured it out a couple days ago. I found out that a lot of Dell BIOSs do lump boot drives together if they're plugged into the SATA ports. I've installed a boot manager and everything works fine.

My PC was disconnected from the internet while editing this, so I'm not writing the whole thing again. Basically, I can boot into Grub from the Windows boot menu and then into Ubuntu, and I don't mind the extra step.

Solution