Question My BOSD's are back, again and I dont know which driver is at fault

omegaox

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I hate having to keep doing this, but this forum has helped a lot in the past. Althus I have another set of BOSD minidumps that have accumolated.

to kep it simple, I have done the DDU Nvidea install, last time the issue was something with two speakers, and now it is happening again. All that has to be done is a chipset driver update but I'm having issues with that. Also, it has to be another driver, and I do not know which driver it could be.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15PSBwmWrnVOur19hnUcTw-2sj7FSNebA/view?usp=sharing

Moderator Note: Link goes to a Google Drive .zip file that must be downloaded.

the minidumps are posted above

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing errors, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the BSOD's.

As for the Nvidea install do that manually. Download directly from Nvidea's website, reinstall, and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers.

omegaox

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing errors, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the BSOD's.

As for the Nvidea install do that manually. Download directly from Nvidea's website, reinstall, and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers.
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7
RAM
16,0GB
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B450M PRO-VDH MAX (MS-7A38) (AM4)
Graphics
27G1G4 (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (MSI) 30 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZAZ-00L9GB0 (SATA (SSD))
953GB Western Digital WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-1T00-1032 (Unknown (SSD))

its 2 years old and original

a look in both of those are pretty much usless because they give no info over what is actually going wrong

i did the install already, last time i was reccomended to do it and now i just said it to say that its already done

Ralston18

Titan
PSU? Make,. model, wattage? (Trusting that the PSU is the original PSU and now 2 years old - correct?) History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

= = = =

As for Reliability History and Event Viewer - take another look. What you are looking for are any entries that occur just before or at the time of the BSOD.

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the time line format often indicates when some problem actually started.

Look for red circles and yellow triangles. Those are the entries of immediate interest. Clicking any given entry will provide more details. The details may or may not be directly helpful.

Error codes can be googled and help narrow down possible culprits.

If you see, for example, increasing numbers of varying errors that is often a sign of a faltering or failing PSU.

omegaox

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
PSU? Make,. model, wattage? (Trusting that the PSU is the original PSU and now 2 years old - correct?) History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

= = = =

As for Reliability History and Event Viewer - take another look. What you are looking for are any entries that occur just before or at the time of the BSOD.

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the time line format often indicates when some problem actually started.

Look for red circles and yellow triangles. Those are the entries of immediate interest. Clicking any given entry will provide more details. The details may or may not be directly helpful.

Error codes can be googled and help narrow down possible culprits.

If you see, for example, increasing numbers of varying errors that is often a sign of a faltering or failing PSU.
its a MAG META 5 3SC-060MYS

I did look, and it doesn't tell me anything useful, It is the reason i installed whocrashed because the only prior error i could find in event viewer is one from 40 minutes before the BOSD happened, and im a pc nimrod, i know the basics, im not that into IT so a lot of words don't mean much to me

as for the pupose, just gaming, and everyday use. I dont know much else beyond the info i have provided about my PC

Ralston18

Titan
What error or information did "Who crashed" report?

Errors codes and error descriptions are useful if only as a starting point for further troubleshooting and investigation.

It would be nice if the error codes were specific enough to identify any specific cause or potential culprit.

Unfortunately some error codes then equivalent of the infamous "Check Engine Light".

This Desktop computer?

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/863223/msi-mag-meta-5-3sc-060mys.html#product-specifications

From the specs, listed under "Other", the PSU is listed as 350 watts. No apparent make and model. You may need to look inside the case.

However as a general observation my thought is that the PSU is a likely suspect.

Are you able to swap in another known working PSU - at least 500 watts or so? (Remember if the PSU is modular : do not mix and match in power cables from other PSUs.)

Also: power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Maybe something is just a bit loose.

omegaox

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
What error or information did "Who crashed" report?

Errors codes and error descriptions are useful if only as a starting point for further troubleshooting and investigation.

It would be nice if the error codes were specific enough to identify any specific cause or potential culprit.

Unfortunately some error codes then equivalent of the infamous "Check Engine Light".

This Desktop computer?

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/863223/msi-mag-meta-5-3sc-060mys.html#product-specifications

From the specs, listed under "Other", the PSU is listed as 350 watts. No apparent make and model. You may need to look inside the case.

However as a general observation my thought is that the PSU is a likely suspect.

Are you able to swap in another known working PSU - at least 500 watts or so? (Remember if the PSU is modular : do not mix and match in power cables from other PSUs.)

Also: power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Maybe something is just a bit loose.
the minidumps provided show the stop codes and the info the same way whocrashed does. I have no clue what you are on about the PSU for, this is the first time i've ever even heard someone mention the PSU might be at fault and despite that the stopcodes in whocrashed always mention a software error, after looking into it, the only thing i have that could be linked to psu are blue screens persisting after a long time. I do not have the knowledge, nor skills to just simply replace or check something like that

the listing for this desktop says this for psu

500W 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU
750W 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU

as for the "whocrashed" reports here they are:

On Tue 24/05/2022 18:58:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052422-8296-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F7D60)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF810B952F00D0, 0x11, 0xFFFF810B952F00D0, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 24/05/2022 18:58:09 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x432FF)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFF810B952F00D0, 0x11, 0xFFFF810B952F00D0, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 19/05/2022 17:35:34 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051922-10875-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8020E5FFC97, 0xFFFFEE0A3CEC95B0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Sat 14/05/2022 20:55:15 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051422-9546-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x109 (0xA39FDD61AC28D6C6, 0x0, 0xF11F93EA77002EE, 0x101)
Error: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Thu 05/05/2022 14:24:52 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050522-7781-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F78A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80063322504, 0xFFFFCE09905A3758, 0xFFFFCE09905A2F90)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Wed 04/05/2022 00:44:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050422-8437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F78A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x3F, 0x135560, 0x2F430D68, 0x2F438D68)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Ralston18

Titan
Common to all:

"This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Lots of options:

Manually download the applicable GPU drivers directly from Nvidea's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

As for PSU if it is not able (for any number of reasons) to provide the power necessary to support the system then all sorts of errors and problems can occur.

What the logs reveal is that software (and drivers in particular) may be at fault. Well and good.,

However, the earlier log entries also mention possible hardware problems that could be power related. I.e., the PSU could be starting to falter and fail.

And power problems can and do corrupt files: OS, drivers, and data.

Agree, the log descriptions are vague, sometimes almost contradictory - generally confusing. So the overall pattern needs to be looked at as well.,

Try the fixes, keep an eye on the logs, watch for changes in errors or error patterns.

Before doing anything:

Be sure (as you should always be doing) to backup all important data at least 2 x to locations off of your computer. Ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

omegaox

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Common to all:

"This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Lots of options:

Manually download the applicable GPU drivers directly from Nvidea's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

As for PSU if it is not able (for any number of reasons) to provide the power necessary to support the system then all sorts of errors and problems can occur.

What the logs reveal is that software (and drivers in particular) may be at fault. Well and good.,

However, the earlier log entries also mention possible hardware problems that could be power related. I.e., the PSU could be starting to falter and fail.

And power problems can and do corrupt files: OS, drivers, and data.

Agree, the log descriptions are vague, sometimes almost contradictory - generally confusing. So the overall pattern needs to be looked at as well.,

Try the fixes, keep an eye on the logs, watch for changes in errors or error patterns.

Before doing anything:

Be sure (as you should always be doing) to backup all important data at least 2 x to locations off of your computer. Ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.
There are no signs of anything going on using the dism command and SFC also shows nothing, I asked someone who knows more about pc's than me and he said the power provided should be addiquite for my rig so it Isnt the PSU, as its also not showing any other signs of faltering or failing. I have re-installed the graphics drivers from NVIDEA again but i do that everytime and doesnt seem to help either. It should be a driver and i genuienly do not know what it is

Ralston18

Titan
Let's try another approach.

Open Reliability History and set "View by" to days.

Then identify two or three days, if any, that show red circles and/or yellow triangles.

Click each of the chosen days and then take a screenshot as necessary. Try to include as much of the Reliability details as possible.

Post the screenshots here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Also note at the bottom of the Reliability History window link "View all problem reports".

Click and likewise do a screen capture to show what, if anything, has been reported to Microsoft.

Note: clicking any listed item will provide more details about what was reported. No need at the moment to dig into or otherwise show details there.

Just interested in what is reported in the Summary column.

= = = =

As for the PSUs the wattage listing is one thing. Whether the PSU is actually able to provide that wattage especially when demand is rapidly peaking is another.

It only takes a small power glitch of any sort to cause problems. Or a voltage out of tolerance.

Knowing the make and model of the PSU is important. (As is true for any product there are manufacturers with good quality products and there are manufacturers with poor quality products.)

Three links worth reading:

https://itigic.com/80-plus-bronze-silver-gold-platinum-titanium-features/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

The links are intended here only for informational purposes. Not that you should go out and buy a new PSU. Or grab a multi-meter and test a PSU.

The purpose is to simply help you understand more about PSUs and how a failing PSU can cause problems.

= = = =

You have reinstalled the Nvidea drivers, Running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" did not find any corrupted Windows files.

Barring some explicit "Who crashed" error or other clue pointing to one particular device driver all you can do is work through updating the installed drivers one by one.

And do remember the backups.

I hate having to keep doing this, but this forum has helped a lot in the past. Althus I have another set of BOSD minidumps that have accumolated.

to kep it simple, I have done the DDU Nvidea install, last time the issue was something with two speakers, and now it is happening again. All that has to be done is a chipset driver update but I'm having issues with that. Also, it has to be another driver, and I do not know which driver it could be.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15PSBwmWrnVOur19hnUcTw-2sj7FSNebA/view?usp=sharing

Moderator Note: Link goes to a Google Drive .zip file that must be downloaded.

the minidumps are posted above
single bit memory corruptions
you will want to update bios to current version or reset it to defaults if it is already at the current version. then boot and run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings
MSI MAG META 5 – Rule your gaming empire with minimalist style | Gaming Desktop | MSI
your bios is dated 5/25/2020

Last edited: