My brain hurts

doktorbike1976

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
hi, i recently replaced my cpu and mobo as my old ones were fried so i upgraded them. problem is my copy of vista came on my hd so i have no disc, i cant boot to windows and get no recovery options to do a fresh install just bsod. i also have loads of files i need on the hd. do i need to buy another copy of windows and can i save my files if i install said new copy? im going bald over this one, can anyone help?

The Vista installation on your hard drive has the drivers and needed programs for the OLD motherboard. Those drivers will not install on the new motherboard creating a blue screen failure. Best to buy a new Vista DVD installation disk (or Windows 7 since you will be paying for it) and install it along with the correct motherboard drivers that came on the CD provided by the new MB.

doktorbike1976

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
yea thats the conclusion i came to but on a tight budget as im waiting for lung surgery, cant work and on benefits so was trying other options. could i buy and use the upgrade or will it have to be a full copy

doktorbike1976

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

yea thats the conclusion i came to but on a tight budget as im waiting for lung surgery, cant work and on benefits so was trying other options. could i buy and use the upgrade or will it have to be a full copy

The copy of Vista which is currently on the old hard drive with the old motherboard driver installation will not install on the new motherboard. Example. I take the hard drive from my AMD system and pop the drive into my Intel system and expect it fire right up. Not going to happen.

doktorbike1976

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
so a full copy it is then. damn those oem fiends.
i can get a copy of xp but from past experience i get the feeling the copy of vista will put up a fight if i try to install it onto the same drive

doktorbike1976

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
so a full copy it is then. damn those oem fiends.
i can get a copy of xp from my father but from past experience i get the feeling the copy of vista will put up a fight if i try to install it onto the same drive

Yeah, you will need an installation disk whether Vista, XP or Windows 7 to install an operating system. The old motherboard installation on the hard drive will not install on the new motherboard. If you had a Vista installation DVD a repair installation may be possible.

doktorbike1976

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
cool, thanks for your advice. think i will bite the bullet and go for windows 7 as i can then go 64bit and reap the rewards of my new mobo & cpu. thanks again