Question My brain is fried, need help getting RAM to work, or buying proper RAM for Ryzen 5600 on a B350 chipset...

Ricardo Sanchez

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Hi guys, I have two identical PCs that I've built back in 2017, based on a Ryzen 1700 processor and B350 motherboard.

I was going to build new PCs from scratch this year, but instead opted to buy two Ryzen 5600 processors, upgrade the old 8GB RX 480 GPUs, moved from SATA SSDs/HDDs to M.2 PCIe drives, and better rated power supplies for the new GPUs.

Problem 1, one of the PCs works fine with the 2x8 16GB of 3200MHz RAM, but this is RAM that I bought back in 2017. If I wanted to double the RAM to 32GB, am I to understand that buying the same "Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB) (Black)" may not work because of how many years apart these RAM chips where made?

I've also read that the old B350 chipset based motherboard might add to those concerns.

Problem 2, I also want to double the RAM on the other PC, but it does not at all like the new 3600MHz RAM that I bought for it. It's just 2x8 16GB, but it won't work without it giving of myriad of BSOD like PFN LIST CORRUPT, MEMORY MANAGEMENT, SYTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION and others.

Even if profiles are disabled and it's running at 2133MHz it would BSOD eventually. Is the RAM faulty, or is 3600MHz just out of the question? It works fine with some old "Ballistix 16GB Ballistix Tactical DDR4 2666 MHz Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)" that I had lying around.

Unless I'm missing some other variables, and from similar posts,

It looks like I should buy 2 sticks of 32GB RAM instead of doubling to four sticks which in itself can cause an issue, and perhaps worse if I'm mixing pairs, especially made years apart. My old ass B350 motherboard doesn't help things either.

Ricardo Sanchez

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Most processors of that series were limited to 2667 speed memory.
Anything over 2667 is overclocking the memory controller.
Some would run 2993 or 3000 speed.
A few would run 3200 speed.
Even with the new Ryzen 5600? I thought the memory controller was on the CPU. Back when the Ryzen 1700 and B350 came out I slapped the same sticks of 2666MHz and called it a day until now. I just expected better from a 2022 motherboard BIOS and CPU.

I bought 32GB of 3200MHz RAM in 2x16 configuration. It should show up today.

My bros PC with identical B350 motherboard model, Ryzen 1700 and now 5600 never had this issues lol

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The 3xx series of boards were quite finicky, and not all RAM outside (what is assuredly an outdated) QVL does not have the manufacturer nod to work properly.

In this instance would decide whether you want to pursue new RAM or a new mobo.
Personally would consider putting old RAM and CPU back in the picky board and sell it down the line to help fund a newer chipset.

Ricardo Sanchez

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
The 3xx series of boards were quite finicky, and not all RAM outside (what is assuredly an outdated) QVL does not have the manufacturer nod to work properly.

In this instance would decide whether you want to pursue new RAM or a new mobo.
Personally would consider putting old RAM and CPU back in the picky board and sell it down the line to help fund a newer chipset.
Thankfully I made sure to not limit my upgrades based on the B350 motherboard and PCIe 3. The Ryzen 5600, Radeon RX 6800 XT, and SN850X NVMe I bought on special are all PCIe 4 compatible.

If my bros B350 runs fine with 16GB @ 3200MHz, maybe it'll work fine with the new 32GB @ 3200MHz pair and pass on the savings to him.