My c: disk keeps getting scanned and repaired but nothing changes, also windows freezes and crashes

martijnxkimmenade

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Alright title was pretty clear I guess. 2 Days ago I shut my PC down through force shut (holding power button) for just once. Yesterday I started my pc up and after a few minutes it just crashed. Trying to find a hardware mistake I cleaned out my pc and checked cables, everything was good so I tried again. Crash again (Windows Stopcode). I have tried everything to fix and repair my C: drive but something is wrong and I don't know. Solutions I'm now thinking about are reinstalling windows, or even buying an SSD to run windows on. Usually I can fix my PC stuff but this is above me. Does somebody know what's wrong or has ideas how to fix this? Thank you!

Solution
I had a (2013) laptop hdd that was always giving Scan & Repair messages. After I replaced the drive, I plugged it into an external hdd dock connected to the same laptop, and still got Scan & Repair messages. I built a Windows 10 system last month, and am using that same laptop hdd as a storage drive, and haven't seen one Scan & Repair window.

My point being sometimes the software will do strange things, causing conflicts with hardware that may still be in perfectly good condition.

On the other hand, if you are in a position to replace the hdd with an ssd, do it. You'll be upgrading your system, adding storage space, and if the hdd fails, at least it won't be your OS drive. And if it is still functional, then you can use it as an...

christopher.john.sr

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
I had a (2013) laptop hdd that was always giving Scan & Repair messages. After I replaced the drive, I plugged it into an external hdd dock connected to the same laptop, and still got Scan & Repair messages. I built a Windows 10 system last month, and am using that same laptop hdd as a storage drive, and haven't seen one Scan & Repair window.

My point being sometimes the software will do strange things, causing conflicts with hardware that may still be in perfectly good condition.

On the other hand, if you are in a position to replace the hdd with an ssd, do it. You'll be upgrading your system, adding storage space, and if the hdd fails, at least it won't be your OS drive. And if it is still functional, then you can use it as an extra storage drive.

Solution

martijnxkimmenade

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Thanks for the help yall but it's aight, I got myself an SSD. My old windows disk was being really weird but after a bunch of hours of messing around I finally manged to format it and now it's working. Thanks for helping!