[SOLVED] My computer always stutters when I play games

Jan 5, 2020
my computer struggled when i was trying to play recent games due to the fact i have quite a dated pc with dated components. i upgraded my gtx 950 to a gtx 1070 8gb yet whenever i play the newer games it stutters, i cant play the new cod and can't run star wars battlefront 2 without it stuttering. Also when i do play games that seem to stutter discord works poorly and i often cuts out communications to who I'm speaking to breifly. I think it may be a hard drive problem as in task manager my hard drive is often at 100%. How can i solve this problem? what needs upgraded?
i have :
8GB ram ddr4
intel core i 5-6400
gtx 1070 8GB

Solution
So if i do get an SSD and 8gb more ram, can i just have them in addition to my current hard drive and 8 gb of ram or will I need to buy 2x8gb ram and replace my current hard drive with the SSD?
Yes, you can add the SSD to your system without replacing the hard drive.
As for the ram, I, and no one else can give you a concrete answer on adding/mixing it because it's such a shot in the dark.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When it doesn't, all you lose is more time and money.
Jan 5, 2020
Yes, 16GB ram is necessary.
The reason you find your hard drive at 100% is because you ran out of available memory and the system is now swapping from memory to write on the much slower storage drive.
An SSD will not fix this because it's also slower than actual ram.
So if i do get an SSD and 8gb more ram, can i just have them in addition to my current hard drive and 8 gb of ram or will I need to buy 2x8gb ram and replace my current hard drive with the SSD?

WildCard999

Titan
Sorry, what's a quad core?
i5-6400=4 Cores=Quad core.

Ideally if your gaming and using other apps such as Discord, web, etc your going to need a better CPU. For your current motherboard the i7-6700(k) or i7-7700(k)* (may require motherboard BIOS update) would be a good choice if you can find one of them for chea used or consider upgrading to AMD Ryzen which may be a better investment.

Jan 5, 2020
i5-6400=4 Cores=Quad core.

Ideally if your gaming and using other apps such as Discord, web, etc your going to need a better CPU. For your current motherboard the i7-6700(k) or i7-7700(k)* (may require motherboard BIOS update) would be a good choice if you can find one of them for chea used or consider upgrading to AMD Ryzen which may be a better investment.
Do you think that the cpu is the problem then and not the hard drive? I've been told the cpu is powerful enough for the gtx 1070 so i dont think it would need upgraded anytime soon

COD Modern Warfare recommends 16 Gb RAM. If you're on a budget, I suggest you get a 2x8 kit of RAM first and see if that fixes you're issue. To be clear, remove your existing 8 Gb RAM and replace with the new 2x8 kit. Make sure you place the new RAM in the correct slots for dual channel mode, typically slots 2 and 4.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As for the ram, I, and no one else can give you a concrete answer on adding/mixing it because it's such a shot in the dark.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When it doesn't, all you lose is more time and money.

Solution
Jan 5, 2020
COD Modern Warfare recommends 16 Gb RAM. If you're on a budget, I suggest you get a 2x8 kit of RAM first and see if that fixes you're issue. To be clear, remove your existing 8 Gb RAM and replace with the new 2x8 kit. Make sure you place the new RAM in the correct slots for dual channel mode, typically slots 2 and 4.
There are only two slots in my motherboard for ram

Jan 5, 2020
So it woulld be safest and most effective for me to just add an ssd and get 2x8gb of ram in order to fix the issue

Jan 5, 2020
The problem is that you currently don't have enough ram. It had absolutely nothing to do with the storage.

Is your current storage drive full, or almost full? If not, no real need to get a new one yet.
I recently formatted my pc as i thought the storage may have been the problem. so now after a couple game installs i have plenty of free space

psi

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
Yes, 16GB ram is necessary.
The reason you find your hard drive at 100% is because you ran out of available memory and the system is now swapping from memory to write on the much slower storage drive.
An SSD will not fix this because it's also slower than actual ram.
16GB is still very big amount of RAM today. I don't know if 16 GB is neccessary. It's not known if a Game always reads HDD for files to use, or writes them into RAM. That much RAm could be standing still, without action.
OwenDocherty, It's worth looking how much you use when biggest game is loaded.

Jan 5, 2020
16GB is still very big amount of RAM today. I don't know if 16 GB is neccessary. It's not known if a Game always reads HDD for files to use, or writes them into RAM. That much RAm could be standing still, without action.
OwenDocherty, It's worth looking how much you use when biggest game is loaded.
Not going to lie i didnt really understand anything after the first two sentences which is probably why I'm finding it so difficult to get my pc to run well

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
16GB is still very big amount of RAM today. I don't know if 16 GB is neccessary.
Are you seriously suggesting the OP stay with their 8GB ram config..?

It's not known if a Game always reads HDD for files to use, or writes them into RAM. That much RAm could be standing still, without action.
Windows mate... WINDOWS.

Take a look at the game's system requirements? Just the minimum, which is for 720p 30fps, recommends 8GB - and that's only the game.
The recommendations don't account for Windows, browsers, Discord, etc., being open alongside the game.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss

psi

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
Not going to lie i didnt really understand anything after the first two sentences which is probably why I'm finding it so difficult to get my pc to run well
You will probably understand very soon, this is easy and internet has the answers. So if this the HDD you need to backup your data.
Are you seriously suggesting the OP stay with their 8GB ram config..?
Why not, because I myself have Windows 10 and 1 stick of 8GB RAM. Super modern games run smoothly.
Windows mate... WINDOWS.

Take a look at the game's system requirements? Just the minimum, which is for 720p 30fps, recommends 8GB - and that's only the game.
The recommendations don't account for Windows, browsers, Discord, etc., being open alongside the game.
I don't know about this game maybe it has size of 100Gb and even more system requierements than usually found for this year. Yes possibly if you run browser along with few programs, they might add 600Mb to 2Gb plus a game, but can this really lead to so much stuttering. Though, OP didn't say how bad it is.