My Computer boots but no post

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
My PC boots but it doesn't post. It was working earlier today but then stopped.

Specs
Phenom ii x4 925
GTX 1060(I know there is a bottleneck, I am planning on upgrading soon)
8gb ddr2(Any amount of ram doesn't work)
XFX 8200, error code is d5
evga 500w

Thanks
Happy New Year

jr9

Estimable
You have 2x4GB RAM configuration right?

Can you try booting with one RAM stick at a time one one slot. After that I would repeat that procedure with any other slots that are available. If possible. Resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and replacing it may help as well.

Do you have a spare graphics card, CPU, AM2 motherboard, or power supply that you can try? Sudden boot failure is often caused by failed hardware.

The manual for your XFX MIA78S8209 which is what I believe is your motherboard doesn't give what the debug codes say but similar NVIDIA motherboards state the d5 debug code is memory related when the BIOS is loaded into RAM.

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I have done that already. I get no beep codes, reset cmos, the i/o panel has a screen that displayed d5. The Ram is fine, it works, I tried 8 different sticks of 1 and 2gb. I've has no luck with onboard or gt 710 that works. The model number you sent me is correct.

Thanks for your answer

jr9

Estimable
If you have a motherboard speaker, that would help you get POST beep codes straight from the BIOS. They are fairly cheap and small devices that plug into the motherboard header and give you true BIOS beep codes vs sometimes unhelpful Debug codes.

With suddenly no video output on integrated and no POST (assuming proper installation), it seems to be an issue with: CPU, Motherboard, PSU. If a speaker is unavailable I can only recommend trying alternatives of those parts. It sounds mostly likely to be an older motherboard that has stopped working.

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

jr9

Estimable
If you cannot get any beep codes even with no RAM my thoughts are that the motherboard has passed on. If you can repeat this with no CPU installed to see if you can get any beeps.

From what I am seeing it sounds like the motherboard . You can try a different AM2/AM2+ motherboard to verify this or if you do not have one, a PC shop could perform and confirm that the motherboard has died. If it's not that, it is the CPU although even with no CPU you should get beep codes I believe. If it is just shutting off right after starting it could be an electrical issue but if it runs and just does nothing (or no beeps assuming the speaker works perfect and on the right header) it's probably the motherboard. I don't know if that board can beep with no CPU but most modern ones can.

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

jr9

Estimable
I suppose it's a good thing you are upgrading then soon. It probably isn't even worth it to replace either the motherboard unless your upgrade is months away. There is also a small chance it could be the CPU.

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

jr9

Estimable

Any codes coming up on it? If you don't get anything on it then that points to the motherboard not working even more. If it isn't RAM or CPU then the only thing that could cause you to fail pre-video POST is the motherboard. If it was the power supply giving out bad voltages it would just shut off right after startup or just not start altogether although it wouldn't hurt to try another PSU if you have one.

moisterxd

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017