Question My computer bricks itself out of nowhere... Simple reboot fixes it?

Oct 21, 2021
Hello! I use my computer for about all of the above, video editing, document writing, school work, and gaming. All of those operate fine except for the gaming aspect. Sometimes when I play some of my games, including Rust, Warzone, and VALORANT, my computer decides to brick itself after about 1:30 hours of playtime.

I have had this issue ever since I got my computer, back in November 2021. The crashing really takes a toll when I am playing Rust or Warzone since I have to completely reboot my computer to gain control of the computer again. The way the crashes takes their toll with Rust or Warzone is my audio stutters for about half a second, meaning that it will make a really loud "BRRRR" noise, then both of my monitors will turn off. After that, maybe 5 seconds later, the audio stutters come back and don't stop until I power off my computer. Sometimes the last part doesn't happen and I can still hear my music or game audio, I just don't have control over the computer since the screen is black, and the graphics card isn't outputting anymore.

Also sometimes with another crashing issue, it will flash one solid color on the screen that was very similar to colors that were on the screen before it had bricked, and do the audio stutter or no control over the computer. This is the only case with VALORANT and sometimes Rust, but I have to wait a while before it tells me that "Graphics Driver crashed!".

I also recently upgraded my GPU from 970, to 980Ti, and gave my old one to my cousin, and the same problems are still happening, and happening even more frequently than before. I am truly confused and it is starting to piss me off since the only time I get to actually play something with my friends is when they are on for 2 hours and then get offline for the entirety of the day.

I asked my friend that knows a decent amount about computers, is telling me it is either my Motherboard or my CPU, cause when the monitors turn off, 3 or so seconds later the "CPU" debug light flashes for a second, then cuts to "VGA".

The old GTX 970 works just fine on my cousin's computer as well, with absolutely no issues.

Here are my specs, see if you can diagnose my computer for me!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF, Stock Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 MAX Gaming
PSU: EVGA 550W Non-Modular Power Supply (100-N1-0550-L1)
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB, 3000 MHZ
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti 6G (3842 4995)
Storage: 250GB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD, 2 TB 7200 RPM Barracuda

Hello! I use my computer for about all of the above, video editing, document writing, school work, and gaming. All of those operate fine except for the gaming aspect. Sometimes when I play some of my games, including Rust, Warzone, and VALORANT, my computer decides to brick itself after about 1:30 hours of playtime.

I have had this issue ever since I got my computer, back in November 2021. The crashing really takes a toll when I am playing Rust or Warzone since I have to completely reboot my computer to gain control of the computer again. The way the crashes takes their toll with Rust or Warzone is my audio stutters for about half a second, meaning that it will make a really loud "BRRRR" noise, then both of my monitors will turn off. After that, maybe 5 seconds later, the audio stutters come back and don't stop until I power off my computer. Sometimes the last part doesn't happen and I can still hear my music or game audio, I just don't have control over the computer since the screen is black, and the graphics card isn't outputting anymore.

Also sometimes with another crashing issue, it will flash one solid color on the screen that was very similar to colors that were on the screen before it had bricked, and do the audio stutter or no control over the computer. This is the only case with VALORANT and sometimes Rust, but I have to wait a while before it tells me that "Graphics Driver crashed!".

I also recently upgraded my GPU from 970, to 980Ti, and gave my old one to my cousin, and the same problems are still happening, and happening even more frequently than before. I am truly confused and it is starting to piss me off since the only time I get to actually play something with my friends is when they are on for 2 hours and then get offline for the entirety of the day.

I asked my friend that knows a decent amount about computers, is telling me it is either my Motherboard or my CPU, cause when the monitors turn off, 3 or so seconds later the "CPU" debug light flashes for a second, then cuts to "VGA".

The old GTX 970 works just fine on my cousin's computer as well, with absolutely no issues.

Here are my specs, see if you can diagnose my computer for me!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF, Stock Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 MAX Gaming
PSU: EVGA 550W Non-Modular Power Supply (100-N1-0550-L1)
RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB, 3000 MHZ
GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti 6G (3842 4995)
Storage: 250GB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD, 2 TB 7200 RPM Barracuda
Wag.
Start with a quality 650w psu.