Question My Computer consistently breaks my GPUs

Aug 14, 2022
I bought a prebuild computer from a company and have been constantly getting the same problems over and over again, that being the GPU will eventually run into problems until its output effectively gets reduced to extremely unresponsive (running at 5 -10 frame per second).
The first time i had run into a failure was within 1 year of purchasing the computer, the second time would be 3 months later and now after switching for a brand new GPU, i am experiencing these problems again within 4 months of using this GPU.

The computer has:
  • Intel Core i5 10400
  • Intel H410M MB
  • 2x 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (8GB Modules)
  • 480GB SSD
  • 750W PSU

Originally it came with:
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB
but while it was being repaired i replaced with:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

What should i do?

DSzymborski

Titan
That PSU certainly doesn't look the least bit promising. Looks like an Allied PSU, which is very bad news; dodgy low-end, group-regulated garbage. The warranty is of no value because they just give you the same junk over again.

That this was ever in a machine with a 2080 Super is absolutely shocking. Whatever company built this should be ashamed of themselves.

Aug 14, 2022
oh dear, well i have decided to replace the PSU with an AG-750 80+ gold.
GPU appears to be functioning properly now as well which is surprising because i thought it had been bricked.
After changing PSU i have run into a funny problem, that being i dont have my main fans running atm.
Ill probably run it as it is and build a new PC from scratch in the meantime.
Any suggestions on what parts i should get or good resources to use to help build a new PC?

Thank you for all the help as well, tis a shame i ran into such a bad company

logainofhades

Titan
GPU appears to be functioning properly now as well which is surprising because i thought it had been bricked.
After changing PSU i have run into a funny problem, that being i dont have my main fans running atm.
Any suggestions on what parts i should get or good resources to use to help build a new PC?

You can use the link in my sig, as a guide, on how to ask for new systems/upgrades.

Totally agree with the others on your original PSU.

With that said, is the replacement an Apexgaming PSU? If so, you've arguably replaced a bad PSU, with one that's slightly better. And by better, I mean it might last you more than 6-12months, and possibly fry another GPU. This PSU is in Tier 4 (D) in most recent lists, meaning it's just about good enough for an iGPU. Never mind an entry level gaming PC

When considering your build, ask us for the PSU too!!. The PSU is the heart of your system. You don't want it to be defective from the start.

Your system is strong enough for some good gaming. Get a good PSU.

Something like this will serve you well, and last you to a new build. Made with quality parts, and has a 7 year warranty.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-19 13:45 EDT-0400

Alternatively a Corsair RM/RMx/TXM. 650w would be other good PSU's for your build.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Evga GS 550/650 uses a modified Seasonic G budget series platform (hello, ancient?) . The Evga G6 uses an updated Seasonic Focus platform, but finally took a hint from Corsair and uses a dual OCP/OPP setup, so actually has 2 trip points. 135% for nanosecond spikes and 125% for long duration trips. This can combat 30 series nvidia transient load spikes. The GS doesn't have that ability, so even a 3060/ti is going to be shutting the GS down.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Have you actually monitored the voltage output of the psu while heavy gameplay is in action. 5volts is suppose to be 5 volts. Not 5.5 or 4.5 but 5. The +- 12 volt supplies should be close. Over voltage can kill a machine in a split second and under voltage can corrupt firmware, etc. This is why you look of a psu that detects both over and under voltage. I think mine is an evga, Came with a 10 year warranty and it's never giving me a problem. It's also modular and you only use the wires that need to be used.

TRENDING THREADS