My computer doesn't boot then it does and the it doesn't

nobodyspecial

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Hi,
My computer turned itself off, but there's power still going in it. I can see the lights in the computer is still on as well as the mouse. When I try to turn it back on, everything powers, but the screen is blank. In fact the led on the cd drive is on, it doesn't flicker.

So I flipped the switch on the back to cut off the power and disconnected the power the cd drive and powered it back on. The same thing happened, blank screen but everything powers on. So I disconnect the power to the hard drive and it's still the same.

Then I popped the case open, and put in a memory stick that I had been meaning to replace. I turn on the computer and it tells me to choose the boot drive or something along that line. I turn it off, plug the cd drive and hard drive back in and turn it on. It works, for about an hour before it turns itself off again. So when I go to boot it back on, blank screen again.

I repeat the step of disconnecting the cd drive and hard drive and leaving the memory stick in, nothing. Blank screen. I take the stick out, and it's asking for the boot drive. I reconnect everything, without the memory stick and it works.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on with my computer?
It's a Fry's built one. Windows XP, P4 about 3-4yrs old.
I'm thinking of buying a new pair of memory, MB battery and a new power supply (400 original to a new 500).

Sorry about the long post.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Sounds to me more like the monitor, or the video card driver. Also if it's a DVI monitor one can get disconnects.

I wouldn't fiddle with the computer if it seems alive but you just have a dark screen. If the computer had a problem you WILL see action on screen, a failed boot, BSOD etc..

psycho@home

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
1. Right click My Compuer, click on Manage, click event viewer and check for error messages.
2. Hit F8 as it begins to boot and enable boot logging. The next time you get
it running, go to your windows folder and look for bootlog.txt file for info.

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You might empty a can of Dust-off on the CPU fan, heat sink, and all the other misc fans. The CPU might be getting hot and shutting down.