[SOLVED] My computer freezes after upgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 9 5900x

Apr 7, 2021
Greetings to the community. I am hoping you can help me with a problem I have been having for about a month now after trying many things without success.

I built my PC with the following components:

• MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI (MS-7C37)
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil
  • 2x 8GB PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18
  • 2x 8GB PC4-17000 DDR4 SDRAM Corsair CMW16GX4M2D3600C18
  • 1TB XPG Spectrix S40G RGB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280
  • 512GB INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 M.2 PCIe NVMe 2280
  • 1TB Crucial MX500 3D NAND SATA 2.5" 7mm CT1000MX500SSD1
  • 650W XPG Core Reactor ATX Power Supply

Everything was working fine until y bought a new Ryzen 9 5900x and replaced my 3600 with it.

Now I get very random freezes to my screen. So both my screens just stop and I cannot do anything but to restart the PC. Sometimes is twice a day, sometimes once a day, sometimes every 4 days. And it does not happen when running any particular piece of software that I know of. It also does not happen when stressing the CPU in any way. Sometimes it happens when playing videogames, sometimes when idle, sometimes when browsing, as I said before, just randomly. I have updated all drivers I could think of. I have the latest chipset BIOS release version installed. The CPU tempreatures when the freezes occur vary between 50° and 80° for the CPU and the GPU. I do not have any component overclocked and XMP is off. I am running out of ideas now and I am almost sure the problem has to do with the CPU upgrade since the issue started just after doing it.

Solution
have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
-that explains. Not that this cooler is bad, but it's just a little weak for CPU like 5900X. And because CPU already throttles at 90°C, you're probably loosing on performance. That is, I would recommend you get a bit more powerful cooler (5-6 heatpipes, maybe two fans), something like Scythe Fuma 2 (about 60$), which works good on my 5900X.

kanewolf

Titan
Greetings to the community. I am hoping you can help me with a problem I have been having for about a month now after trying many things without success.

• Ryzen 5 3600
Everything was working fine until y bought a new Ryzen 9 5900x and replaced my 3600 with it.

Now I get very random freezes to my screen. So both my screens just stop and I cannot do anything but to restart the PC. Sometimes is twice a day, sometimes once a day, sometimes every 4 days. And it does not happen when running any particular piece of software that I know of. It also does not happen when stressing the CPU in any way. Sometimes it happens when playing videogames, sometimes when idle, sometimes when browsing, as I said before, just randomly. I have updated all drivers I could think of. I have the latest chipset BIOS release version installed. The CPU tempreatures when the freezes occur vary between 50° and 80° for the CPU and the GPU. I do not have any component overclocked and XMP is off. I am running out of ideas now and I am almost sure the problem has to do with the CPU upgrade since the issue started just after doing it.
You have mix and match RAM. Results are unpredictable. I would simplify the problem by removing one set of RAM.
Did you reset your BIOS to defaults after the upgrade ?

• Ryzen 5 3600

You have a bit of a strange memory setup there - two different DDR4 memory kits. I would try running the machine with just one pair of ram modules and see if it is more stable...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've got 2 ideas:
1)I see you're not running XMP, but you still mixed ram. It's always a gamble; some users win, others lose.
I suggest testing with one kit at a time.

2)You are in possession of one of the 'bad' X570 motherboards - in regards to VRM thermals.
3600 was EZ mode, even for the afterthought the VRM heatsink was. You changed the game with the 5900X.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021
I've got 2 ideas:
1)I see you're not running XMP, but you still mixed ram. It's always a gamble; some users win, others lose.
I suggest testing with one kit at a time.

2)You are in possession of one of the 'bad' X570 motherboards - in regards to VRM thermals.
3600 was EZ mode, even for the afterthought the VRM heatsink was. You changed the game with the 5900X.

I am going to try with one kit at a time. Regarding the second point, I know the VRM thermals for this specific MOBO are not the best, but I am not doing any overclocking and I never see the VRM MOS temperatures go above 70C or the Chipset temps above 62C. The CPU temps can reach up to 90C but I understand that is normal with this CPU. When idle the temps go between around 55C to 65C.

alexbirdie

Respectable
The CPU temps can reach up to 90C but I understand that is normal with this CPU. When idle the temps go between around 55C to 65C.

Seems far too hot for a 3600. I have a 3950x, and idle-temps are about 35C, and max-temps with aida64-stability-test is about 70C. In games it reaches 60-65C, depending on the game.

That means, either your CPU-cooler is not sufficient, or it is not properly installed .

Apr 7, 2021
Seems far too hot for a 3600. I have a 3950x, and idle-temps are about 35C, and max-temps with aida64-stability-test is about 70C. In games it reaches 60-65C, depending on the game.

That means, either your CPU-cooler is not sufficient, or it is not properly installed .

Sorry, those temps are with the upgraded CPU, which is a 5900x.

As some have suggested (above), try to use only one pair of RAM sticks and if troubles continue, try with second pair.
Next step I would do is clean Windows installation + chipset & graphic drivers. Of course you will also install some other things you really need (like browser, etc.). But don't install any anti-virus-whatever stuff and use PC for few days before adding more software.
Btw. don't worry, your motherboard is fully capable to run 5900X. If VRM, chipset or CPU have temps on high side, then you should maybe check airflow inside PC case. And 90°C isn't really normal for 5900X. What cooler you have?

Apr 7, 2021
As some have suggested (above), try to use only one pair of RAM sticks and if troubles continue, try with second pair.
Next step I would do is clean Windows installation + chipset & graphic drivers. Of course you will also install some other things you really need (like browser, etc.). But don't install any anti-virus-whatever stuff and use PC for few days before adding more software.
Btw. don't worry, your motherboard is fully capable to run 5900X. If VRM, chipset or CPU have temps on high side, then you should maybe check airflow inside PC case. And 90°C isn't really normal for 5900X. What cooler you have?

Y have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. And the CPU only reaches to 90C when on full load.

have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
-that explains. Not that this cooler is bad, but it's just a little weak for CPU like 5900X. And because CPU already throttles at 90°C, you're probably loosing on performance. That is, I would recommend you get a bit more powerful cooler (5-6 heatpipes, maybe two fans), something like Scythe Fuma 2 (about 60$), which works good on my 5900X.

Solution
Apr 18, 2021
Im have the same problem my setup is
ryzen 3700x
2x8gb 3200mhz trident z ram
GTX 3070 aorus master
Asus prime X570 pro
850w corsair 80plus gold
ROG ryuo 240mm AIO
case: NZXT H510 Elite

I have a similar system with a Ryzen 5900X and had some "teething issues" getting 100% stability. Mix and match RAM is something I would definitely not recommend with a Ryzen CPU. Ryzen CPUs are very sensitive to RAM, however in my experience with my 5900X and Asus Dark Hero I set the RAM to DOCP, and had to manually adjust the voltages to get stability. Even with no RAM overclock on my 32Gb Trident Z NEO kit I had to set the DRAM voltage to 1.375 and adjust the VDDG IOD and CCD voltages as well as the cLDO VDDG voltage. The Ryzen DRAM calculator can help with this, but I had adjust and tune the voltages through trial and error till I got 100% stability. I did try to overclock my RAM (default is 3800Mhz) and was able to get 4000Mhz with tighter timings but what I found was with my 5900X I saw no performance improvement from 3800Mhz to 4000Mhz and running tighter timings also didn't provide any real performance increase. This was totally new with Zen 3 as overclocking and running tight timings on my 2700X and 3800X provided good performance boosts.

Aside from RAM the main issue I had was random restarts with event viewer showing voltage related errors (can't remember the exact codes thrown out). Now I do have my 5900X overclocked so that in multi core I have a fixed overclock of 4.65Ghz all core (I can get 4.7Ghz but am also pushing 90C so I run at 4.65Ghz for everyday use). I also utilize the PBO curve enhancement to overclock my two best cores of each CCD to boost to ~5Ghz in single core work loads. The end result is Cinebench R20 scores of ~650 single core and ~9225 multi core. While working on this overclock I found that if the PBO curve is too aggressive it will cause random restarts at extremely random intervals. I could run the computer for over a day without issue then get zapped with a random restart until I found the sweet spot for my particular processor. If you have PBO curve optimization and are experiencing restarts or freezes it is probably set too aggressively (usually too much of an under-volt).

To OP: As pointed out in a previous post, the Hyper 212 EVO you have probably isn't enough for the 5900X. I would highly recommend an upgrade to the NH-D15 (they have a dark edition of it available now as well) or I definitely can recommend the NH-U14S. I have my NH-U14S running with 2 140mm fans in push / pull and even at 4.65Ghz all core my thermals are great. It is entirely possible that the CPU is heating up quicker than it can thermal throttle and causing a system freeze.

One last thought is the power supply. I wouldn't recommend running less than a 750W 80+ Gold quality PSU with a 5900X rig. I know that technically 650W is "enough" but you are going to be nearly maxing that power supply out leaving very little head room for random power spikes. 750W gives a little better overhead and is in my opinion bare minimum for overclocking the 5900X. I am personally running a 850W EVGA Supernova 80+ Platinum and honestly wouldn't consider a 1000W psu to be overkill when paired with a high performance GPU. Something else to keep in mind is if you are reusing the power supply you had in an existing build that power supply likely isn't providing its rated wattage any longer. Power supplies (even top tier PSUs) suffer degradation over time. a four year old 1000W 80+Gold PSU that has had an overclocked rig on it for the past 4 years may only be providing 900W today as an example. If you are running an older 650W power supply your powerful new 5900X may be hamstrung with a PSU that is only operating at 500W, that would most certainly cause blue screens, system freezes and random restarts.

Last edited: