My computer goes to sleep continiusly

francy222

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
My Dell laptop go to sleep when it's not suppose to.
At the beginning it happen only when I use PC for several hour, if I try in that occasion to reopen it it goes to sleep immediatly, after some minutes or less. I have to shut down pc and don't use it for many hours.
Then the things got worse... pc can be open only for at leas one hour and I have got to shut down and don't use it for days (2 or 3)!
I notice that the computer doesn't go to sleep in safety mode, but the screen became black for 1/3 second with an intervall between 10 seconds and about one minute, and the same things happen if I open the BIOS ecc...
I notice that the pc react like if someone will close the cover/top and immediatly reopen it. In normal windows mode pc will react going to sleep, but in the safetly mode or other mode where 'elevate function' are not abilitated the screen became dark only for few seconds.
So the question are two...
Is there a way to say windows to don't do nothing if the cover is closed?
Just because I think this problem depend for an hardware issue, does anyone know which should be the componet who cause this problem?

RealBeast

Titan
Since you posted this in the Windows 7 forum, I will assume that you use Windows 7.

Sleep and hibernate are not too great in W7 and that was never really fixed. I suggest that you disable both sleep and hibernation. Save power by setting the monitor screen saver to come on at a reasonable interval based on your use and use the blank screen saver as it uses the least power of all since it displays nothing.

If you are leaving the machine and it is plugged in it doesn't matter, but if not then just shut it down during periods where you are not using it. If the startup is too slow for you buy an SSD if you don't have one and the boot time is insignificant.

Best to shut it down before closing it.

francy222

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
I solved partially the problem... From the control panel I disabled the event connected to the 'power button' pressing and the cover closing - I say windows to do nothings and not to go to sleep.
Now the pc doesn't go to sleep by himself but the screen become dark for about 1/2 seconds or less, very often (actually about evry 5/10 seconds), and it is very disturbing.

It seems that the problem depends from an hardware problem. It seems tha a malfunctioning component simulates the power button pressing or the laptop cover closing. Has anyone any idea what could be?