Question My computer has gotten slower

Jun 27, 2023
I use the NVIDA Geforce RTX 2060 with 72.0 gigs of ram, and the processor is 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz. It's gotten slower, and it takes a while to even load youtube. What the heck happened? And how do I fix it?

bacca400

Commendable
Apr 16, 2022
This happens a lot as Windows PCs get older. I even clean out unneeded programs running in the background but it still happens. Try these tips:
  1. Clean out unwanted programs at startup. 1) Start control panel. 2) search for "startup" without quotes. 3) Under System click "See which processes start up automatically when you start Windows". A new window opens up. 4) On the right click "Startup apps". Do not disable things you do not understand. 5) Do not disable services, just a few apps that you know for sure you do not use. If you don't own an Xbox you can disable that app in Windows.
  2. Check your virus scanner. If it's scanning every file that's opened or saved, maybe disable that part. Do not disable the whole virus scanner/security software.
  3. Make sure you have at least 10-30GB of free disk space. When Windows uses more memory than it has RAM, it pages some memory to disk, and that can happen a lot in some instances.
  4. Stop running so many tabs in your browser. 50+ open tabs is going to have a bad effect. Some websites use a TON of memory for some reason. Especially in Chrome.
  5. Delete files in your temp space.
  6. Store the programs you use the most on an SSD. It is much faster than a HDD.
  7. Uninstall programs or games you no longer use to free up disk space for the page file. The page file is on C: so free up space there.
  8. Remove temporary files like the internet browser cache for each browser. You don't need 10-50GB in your cache. The cache was made mainly for the internet dial-up era.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike