Question My computer is driving me crazy.

May 19, 2019
Here is my story. (English will not be good be ready)

i5-8400 (May 2018 new)
msi z370 a-pro (may 2018 bought new
EVGA GTX 1050 ti (used on previous pc)
G.Skills ripjaws 2400 1x8 (may 2018 bought new)
PSU Corsair cx500 (old one, 4-5 years, maybe more, someone gave it to me)
HD Seagate 500MB, older part.

I've been running this PC for 1 year, without any issue. None.

Until last week, was in a game of Fortnite, PC shutdown. It tried to reboot, but it shut down again, it was doing that process 4 times before rebooting to a screen saying "warning your previous overclocking have failed and all values are set to default.

Updated Bios version, that message never cameback, and computer never did the boot/off boot/off 4 times before starting.

Then I started a stress test Project64 for 4hours, everything is fine.

Next day, I played 4-5 games of Fortnite, pc shutdown, auto restart, no blue screen, no error, just restarting. Started Fortnite again, played 3-4 games, crash.

I thought it might be Fortnite related. I uninstall. Re-installed. Downloaded last GPU Driver, updated Windows from 1803 to 1809.

Tested RAM in Windows Diagnostic, looked in Event Viewer, all good...

On to the next day, open computer at 11am, play maybe 20 games of fornite during the day, let the game open in lobby when I was doing other thing in the house. No crash. Cameback played some more no crash. Then I watched on the computer UFC fight, then GSW vs Portland, nothing, HWMonitor open all day, everything looks perfect. From 11am to Midnight nothing.

Then I decided to watch a youtube video, computer shutdown itself past midnight, rebooted automatically, no message no error... Went on to watch more youtube, then played some League of Legends, 3 games nothing wrong. Left the game, tried to open a picture and computer shutdown at 5am.

I keep having some random shutdown and I just can't figured it out anymore. I'm not very good with hardware, i know the basic. I have a thermaltake PSU in a box, a 500w unit, was in a friend pc, he switched after 2 years using it because he had a new pc which needed more power (1080ti/ryzen 2800x) so when he heard my issue he gave it to me.

Is it worth it to test it out? Or doesnt sound like a psu problem.

Feel free to gave me idea, my knowledge isnt good to troubleshoot after what I did already.

May 19, 2019
Try Removing your Ram and placing it in another slot.
Also check if anything is shorting out in your pc.
I would recommend to open up your pc , clean the fans , and the whole pc.
Then Try playing games for a constant time.

May 19, 2019
Try Removing your Ram and placing it in another slot.
Also check if anything is shorting out in your pc.
I would recommend to open up your pc , clean the fans , and the whole pc.
Then Try playing games for a constant time.

Thanks for answering. I'll add:

I did a full clean up of the pc, it was clean but I still air canned it. I have my Ram in the A2 Slot. I tried in A1 Slot and it said a message that my mobo wants to have his ram in A2, so I switched it in A2. Never had any message related to the ram since the 1st intial crash and message about values being reste to default and overclock failed.

How can I check if anything is shorting out? Tips?

CLeaning part is done.

Played games constant rate, Fortnite for over 10hours, some sport binging, then shutdown on a random YT video. Or while browsing on twitter.

PSU is out of question?

This sounds typical of a psu problem, add to that the CX500 is a low quality unit and now 4-5 years old it seems even more likely. I'd try the Thermaltake but can you give us the model? Its probably ok for a test but Thermaltake do some crap psu's and some ok ones so long term you may want to change it.

May 19, 2019
This sounds typical of a psu problem, add to that the CX500 is a low quality unit and now 4-5 years old it seems even more likely. I'd try the Thermaltake but can you give us the model? Its probably ok for a test but Thermaltake do some crap psu's and some ok ones so long term you may want to change it.

Thanks a lot to take your time to help me narrow down or fix my issue.

The spare PSU is a Thermaltake Tr2-500w

Yes long term I need a better unit. A SSD, more ram heck even better GPU. Just not living rich these days, no extra money to put on computer this year after my spending on it around same time last year. Is it a very trash model and you wouldn't recommend trying it?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to take your time to help me narrow down or fix my issue.

The spare PSU is a Thermaltake Tr2-500w

Yes long term I need a better unit. A SSD, more ram heck even better GPU. Just not living rich these days, no extra money to put on computer this year after my spending on it around same time last year. Is it a very trash model and you wouldn't recommend trying it?
Actually it's OK, not the best but not the worst either. I'd definitely try it and see.

Thanks for answering. I'll add:

I did a full clean up of the pc, it was clean but I still air canned it. I have my Ram in the A2 Slot. I tried in A1 Slot and it said a message that my mobo wants to have his ram in A2, so I switched it in A2. Never had any message related to the ram since the 1st intial crash and message about values being reste to default and overclock failed.

How can I check if anything is shorting out? Tips?

CLeaning part is done.

Played games constant rate, Fortnite for over 10hours, some sport binging, then shutdown on a random YT video. Or while browsing on twitter.

PSU is out of question?
Just a thought on Ram. If using multiple sticks, they should be bought in matched Pairs. For instance I bought a Matched 4 stick set of ram. The first ten number are the same, but the last 5 numbers run 12969,12970,12971, & 12972. 12969 & 12970 would go in A2 & B2 and the other two in A1 & B1. I don't think this is your problem though as it ran fine for a year. The ones suggesting the PSU are probably on it. Used to always tell people that were doing a build, if you are going to cut corners for Cost, fine, but DON'T cheap out on the PSU. I have seen more than a few systems go south because someone cheaped out on a PSU. You can find some good ones at a decent price. Having said that, I do use Corsair, but not the CX.

Reactions: davew1860

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
sounds like a PSU issue but you running a 1050ti on CX 500w unit even if its old, still it shouldn't cause such issues.

-you sure all the wires are plugged right, nothing is lose or anything.
also check the CPU temps.

May 19, 2019
The 1050ti I have isn't doesnt even have a 6pin. It gets the power on the mobo directly.

In my Original post I said I looked the temps every 2mins for 17 hours.

As for the RAM, like I said, not using multiple stick. Just 1x8.

May 19, 2019
Switched PSU, same problem... Computer was stable for 2 days straight, open 12-17 hrs a day, gaming 8-10, 3rd days, crash...Doesnt want to reboot...Reboot, close, reboot close, finally reboot, says same thing with overclock ram defaut value reset....

HELP. I'M lost now.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019
I had approximately 45 crash yesterday, it was hard to boot, was even shutting down in BIOS.

Stable today...like wtf? At this point I'm thinking there might be a short in one part but not always.

Last question... Only part i havent switched or try without is the harddrive and mobo. Even borrowed a cpu from a friend who doesnt play anymore (same processor as mine 8400) and was still doing it...

So can a HD cuz this issue? I mean I wouldn't crash in bios if it was the HDD right?

May 19, 2019
So I dont know if its interesting for anyone (maybe future people with same issue)

After trying everything, or testing I'd say.

RMA the motherboard.

Send me a new one.

Tried it, stress tested it for 3 days. I have it running for 2 weeks now no issue.... So I guess its safe to say that the motherboard had some kind of a short or defective.