Question My computer is not working good after RAM upgrade

Sep 1, 2019
Hello,

After RAM change my computer is not working correctly.

I have intel i7 7700k and MSI tomahawk z270. I switched from 2x4gb VENGEANCE® LPX 3000mhz to Corsair 2x16GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro CL16.

Now when I go to task manager my CPU utilization on idle is 15% - 20% (on previous RAM it was 2% -3%), the CPU clock is always 4.5 GHz while on previous RAM it was ~ 1.5Ghz on idle. Also, temp increased from ~ 40C on idle to ~60C. Games also work on lower framerates then previously.

I've updated BIOS to the latest version but it didn't help. I don't know what more I could do, I tried to enable XMP but it also didn't help.

Thanks.
Michał

Sep 1, 2019
I don't see anything unusual when sorted by CPU usage, however, I've made a comparison of both RAMs - one is idle and one while playing League of Legends. I've also tested it in Witcher 3 - on old RAM I have stable 70FPS in Novigrad, on new RAM, FPS drops below 40FPS and also there are lags all the time (it doesn't occur outside havy-CPU locations).

Here is the link to screenshot https://prnt.sc/p0m4o0

Sep 1, 2019
I've updated Windows and all drivers, nothing helped. When I plug back 2x 4gb PC4-24000 everything works great, but with 2 x 16gb PC4-25600 I am getting the same errors no matter what BIOS settings I change (I even tried to lower speed to 2133 without any results). I also tried windows memory test but it didn't show any errors.

What is your graphics card situation? Are you set up for both, or are you just using the Nvidia card? If device manager shows the Intel graphics being enabled, it may be more active with the additional RAM (since it uses system RAM as Vram and part of the CPU as a GPU).

Well, I don't know how things are going with the OP, but I will say that I took another look at the pics in post #8 and at that point I am not really seeing a fair comparison. The pic with the new RAM installed shows that the computer had been up and running for 8+ hours with lots of processes up and running. The pic with the new RAM removed shows that the computer had only been running for 5 minutes, with either nothing running, or just the one game. Since there was plenty of RAM available to run the extra programs, along with the game, even after running for 8+ hours, that is why the pic with extra RAM shows the higher CPU numbers.