My computer is only detecting one screen

Alex Ruding

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi i recently bought a monitor of which is the same screen size and resolution as my current monitor. When i plugged in my second monitor and clicked detect on the screen resolution panel on my computer it didn't detect anything. i then switched the vga cable around so my new monitor was plugged in where my current monitor was and vise versa, now the new monitor works and the old one cannot be detected. so now i know that both monitors work fine and both vga cables work fine.
specs of my graphics card (GPU):http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=925&lang=en
i have also tried identifying the second monitor on the devices section of the control panel and on the nvidia graphics control panel and they also do not identify the graphics card.
to sum it all up, both cables work, both monitors work, my computer has the capacity to display 2 screens but it can only detect 1 at a time and only detects the screen in the bottom most port on the back of my computer
if anyone has any questions they may need to ask me to help me resolve my problem please give me a shout.
hope you can help thanks
Alex

Solution
Are you trying to use vga on both monitors? The card you have only supports 1 analog output(the vga port) the the DVi and HDMI port are digital only and will not work with a vga monitor with out an active converter(standard dvi to vga adapter will not work). Have you tried using a dvi or hdmi cable for one of the monitors?

bignastyid

Titan
Are you trying to use vga on both monitors? The card you have only supports 1 analog output(the vga port) the the DVi and HDMI port are digital only and will not work with a vga monitor with out an active converter(standard dvi to vga adapter will not work). Have you tried using a dvi or hdmi cable for one of the monitors?

Solution

Alex Ruding

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
i have solved this problem myself, basically my graphics card has 1 slot for each VGA, DVI and HDMI. my (what i presume is my motherboard) also has this apart from a hdmi port. turns out the VGA port in my motherboard has completely blown and thats why it only works in the graphics card slot, luckily i have DVI ports on both my new monitor and my graphics card and therefore i have linked my old monitor to the card using VGA and my new monitor using DVI. thanks for all the help anyway guys

The ports on the mobo are automatically disabled, as long as a dedicated card is detected.

Alex Ruding

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

is there any way to re-enable them as i now have 1 HD Monitor and 1 analogue