My computer is slow & choppy w/ high CPU usage.

mmoore_45

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hello Tom's Hardware. My computer has been acting slow and choppy for the past couple of days. I've opened my task manager and found my CPU to be at 100%. The programs that are taking up the most usage are the following: Application Host Services (32 bit), AV Console (32 bit), Windows Module Installer Worker, all of these seems to be fluctuating with Application Host Services remaining the highest. I'm doing a full scan of my PC right now to check for any virus/malware.

I've gone into my resource monitor and PSANHost.exe is taking up the most average CPU. Could this be the problem?

joex444

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Uninstall Panda anti-virus and see if it improves. It has nothing to do with thermal throttling - you have a program that isn't running correctly and is stuck. It also doesn't matter what CPU you have unless it's a Pentium III from 1997 it should handle an Anti-Virus program.

Thermal throttling makes even less sense because it's the result of high CPU usage, not the cause.

mmoore_45

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Current specs
GEForce GTX 970
Driver version 376.09
Inter(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHZ
7.93 GB Ram

mmoore_45

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

I will try this now.

mmoore_45

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
This solution has seemed to work considerably. Can anyone recommend a virus protection program for me other than Panda. I like free antivirus software, however if it means to avoid problems like this I don't mind purchasing one also. Any recommendations?

I just use standard windows defender and will run malwarebytes every now and again to check if anything has gotten through.

BadActor

Illustrious
Herald

You are incorrect. When a CPU thermally throttles, even relatively light processes can cause it to max out due to the reduced performance state.

OP, have you tried running in safe mode?

mmoore_45

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

I have not, I can try this. What should I be looking for in safe mode?