[SOLVED] My computer is stuck in reboot loop

Apr 16, 2020
So I have had my computer for a few years. It's been good until recently. I had to replace ram but its been good for a month after that. Last night I went to turn on my computer and it came on for about 5 seconds then shut off and now it gets stuck in the reboot loop. I tried re-seating my ram, gpu, taking out the cmos battery. None of that worked. I just tried turning on my pc without my gpu in and it stayed running. I put my gpu back in and it shut off after 5 seconds again.

So my question is what do you guys think the issue is? Is my PSU dead? Is my gpu dead? or is my mobo failing?

My pc specs
CPU: i7-5820K
Mobo: x99 SLI PLUS
Ram: hyperx DDR4 8x2 2666mhz
GPU: GTX 1080
PSU: Evga 600w

Solution
So I have had my computer for a few years. It's been good until recently. I had to replace ram but its been good for a month after that. Last night I went to turn on my computer and it came on for about 5 seconds then shut off and now it gets stuck in the reboot loop. I tried re-seating my ram, gpu, taking out the cmos battery. None of that worked. I just tried turning on my pc without my gpu in and it stayed running. I put my gpu back in and it shut off after 5 seconds again.

So my question is what do you guys think the issue is? Is my PSU dead? Is my gpu dead? or is my mobo failing?

My pc specs
Have you recently installed any new...

doc_up

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

My pc specs
Have you recently installed any new drivers or software? more often than not (for me at least), this has been the cause of a boot loop. Have you tried booting into safe mode? If you can you can go in and uninstall the recently installed driver or you will need to go into regedit and make a small edit to your registry that will stop the "reboot on crash" setting and allow you to see a crash screen. You can do this with the Windows Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, which you can boot -- and use -- directly on the target system without actually booting Windows. you will have to google it then download and burn a copy on another PC. Here is the edit you need to make: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCrashControl, and either create or edit a DWORD named AutoReboot and set it to 0. After that you can reboot the machine and it will crash without rebooting and if it shows you a BSOD write down the error code(s), google those and this should give you some indication at least of what's causing the crash. I know this was a few weeks ago but if you still have the problem try these things. Good luck.

Solution