[SOLVED] My computer keeps turning off when I turn it on.

Feb 26, 2019
Hi. Last week, my computer stopped working for me. Whenever I try to turn it on, it just cuts off for me. Afterward, it will just turn on and off for me at that point until I shut it down again. I have no idea what to do and I need some help. I was using Windows 10

Solution
Hey there, sorry to hear.

1. If you're saying that sometimes the PC will stay on but fail to POST, (or show your motherboard logo) be certain it's not something as simple as the display. Try different cables and use another PC/Laptop or even a television to test.

2. If that fails, make sure that all PSU cables to your motherboard are plugged in fully and correctly. The 4-pin connector, usually located in the top-left of the motherboard, can cause the issue you're describing.

3. In my experience if you turn the PC on and it turns off almost immediately it generally points to a motherboard issue. It's especially common after a power surge or something of the like.
In this case you may need to have it looked at by a PC repair shop.

If...

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey there, sorry to hear.

1. If you're saying that sometimes the PC will stay on but fail to POST, (or show your motherboard logo) be certain it's not something as simple as the display. Try different cables and use another PC/Laptop or even a television to test.

2. If that fails, make sure that all PSU cables to your motherboard are plugged in fully and correctly. The 4-pin connector, usually located in the top-left of the motherboard, can cause the issue you're describing.

3. In my experience if you turn the PC on and it turns off almost immediately it generally points to a motherboard issue. It's especially common after a power surge or something of the like.
In this case you may need to have it looked at by a PC repair shop.

If anything here seems like it's pointing in the wrong direction, do let me know!

Solution

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Can you enter BIOS? If you can try re-setting everything to defaults, save and exit and see if that changes the error / issue. You do need to at least list your motherboard, cpu, power supply, memory & video card to help out a little more. Also, do you hear any error code "beeps" on boot-up?