My computer randomly restarts while i am playing games.

bede232

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
I have a self build computer with the following components:

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A, Socket-1150
GPU: ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 960 2GB PhysX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
PSU: Cooler Master G650M, 650W PSU
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 8GB Black

I build the pc about 2 years ago and have worked fine ever since. Then a couple a months ago my pc randomly began to restart. I tested the CPU/GPU temps, and my CPU overheated. So i bought a water-cooling system ( Fractal Design Kelvin T12 ) and now all my temps are fine. CPU below 50, GPU gets 55 when gaming, but it still restarts.
When it restarts is different depending on the game.

CS:GO: When map finished loading it shuts down.
League of Legends: I can play a maximum of 2 games before it shuts down.
World of Warcraft: Somewhere after 3 hours.

Sometimes if i just start the game right after it restarted it will shut down again.

I have read a few threads and it is most likely PSU or GPU. Which is what i cannot figure out. I do not have a possibility to borrow components to check which doesn't work. So which is most likely to fail, and which component should i switch (if you had to chose)?

Solution
It could be anything from this point,type in start event viewer and go to windows logs, then to system and see errors,but ill rather take it to pc shop and let them dianose the error or faulire cause they have components to test it, rather give them 20-30€ from spending 200€ on new pc, "IF" they are good at it.

bede232

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
I've have tried to clean my PSU for dust, yes.

I've taken out my GPU. I am not sure how the Furmark Stresstest works, what numbers to look at or expect.
One thing is for sure, it did not restart right away, when i launched CS:GO.

I will test it with other games further and turn back to you, thank you! :)

Soo you are playing on intergrated graphics i think or on GPU(sorry im still a bit lemon for english).If on intergrated graphics and doesn't restart seems your GPU is faulty.

Try to reinstall Nvidia drivers, if it doesn't help boot insto safe mode i assume you have windows 10, just simply when you go start menu and for shutdown, expand to restart and don't press it yet, first press shift and hold it and click restart.
It should reboot into some weird looking blue screen with options.
Now On Choose OPTION click troubleshooting----> Advanced Options------>Startup settings------>And in down right corner press restart.

Now in Startup settings press 5 for safe mode with networking.

Now you can happily reinstall nvidia drivers.Download latest stable not beta and that.
PS. After you install drivers don't restart yet, go to my computer, properties, then advanced system settings (im on windows 7 soo forgive me if i misspoint you),now on Hardware tab and Device installation settings.You will see Yes and No, Click on no and never.
You can always return this to default if it doesn't work.

IN CASE IT DIDN'T WORK:
Repeat process, but before you reinstall drivers again, use DDU to clean drivers and reinstall them.
Download DDU Display Driver Uninstaller

In case it didn't work again, seems your GPU is faulty.

bede232

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
I tested it playing without the GPU for quite a while, and it worked great.

Now it started restarting again, also once it shut down and i couldn't turn it on. It was plugged in the wall, but nothing happened when i pressed the power button.

bede232

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
All my Friends have laptops and i have no other hardware.

Should i just Buy a New power supply and gpu and then hope for the best?

It still resets without the gpu. But it resets quicker and more offen with the gpu

It could be anything from this point,type in start event viewer and go to windows logs, then to system and see errors,but ill rather take it to pc shop and let them dianose the error or faulire cause they have components to test it, rather give them 20-30€ from spending 200€ on new pc, "IF" they are good at it.

Solution