[SOLVED] My computer restarted itself, now bluetooth doesn't work

Karma_727

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
I'm having as strange and frustrating problem. Yesterday I was on my computer, playing a game, and suddenly it decided to restart itself. That was odd, but at first everything seemed fine. My computer wasn't hot, and everything seemed normal, until suddenly my bluetooth headphones can't connect to my computer. I use a bluetooth adapter to connect bluetooth device to my computer. When I go into the device manager, there's a yellow exclamation point on my adapters device, and when click on it I get the following message:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I've tried reinstalling the driver, buying a different bluetooth adapter, and even restoring windows to a previous day when it still worked. Nothing has helped. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can solve this issue?

Solution
The adapter is brand new, actually. Neither my old adapter or the new one work, so the problem is with the computer. Also its embarrassing to say, but I dont know how to make the built in bluetooth work on my motherboard. I have the antenna plugged in but nothing happens.
To enable Bluetooth on your computer go to "PC Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices". Check if Bluetooth is turned on and your PC is discoverable.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-bluetooth-devices-windows-10
Motherboard: gigabyte z390 aorus ultra

Adapter: Insignia Bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter, model number NS-PCY5BMA2-C
Your USB Bluetooth adapter is plug and play with Windows 10 so it should work. Perhaps it has stopped working, it only has a 1 year warranty.
You can use your motherboards built-in Bluetooth 5, have you installed the drivers? You would also need to connect the Wi-Fi antenna that came with your motherboard.

Karma_727

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
Your USB Bluetooth adapter is plug and play with Windows 10 so it should work. Perhaps it has stopped working, it only has a 1 year warranty.
You can use your motherboards built-in Bluetooth 5, have you installed the drivers? You would also need to connect the Wi-Fi antenna that came with your motherboard.

The adapter is brand new, actually. Neither my old adapter or the new one work, so the problem is with the computer. Also its embarrassing to say, but I dont know how to make the built in bluetooth work on my motherboard. I have the antenna plugged in but nothing happens.

To enable Bluetooth on your computer go to "PC Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices". Check if Bluetooth is turned on and your PC is discoverable.

Solution

Karma_727

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017

So I plugged in the antenna and reinstalled the bluetooth drivers. It didn't work at first, but then it decided to work after I removed all of my paired devices and re-paired them. So that's one problem fixed. Thank you for your help!

That said, I'm still a little worried about the fact that my computer can't/won't load the drivers for my adapters. It could be a problem further down the line.

So I plugged in the antenna and reinstalled the bluetooth drivers. It didn't work at first, but then it decided to work after I removed all of my paired devices and re-paired them. So that's one problem fixed. Thank you for your help!

That said, I'm still a little worried about the fact that my computer can't/won't load the drivers for my adapters. It could be a problem further down the line.
The Bluetooth on your motherboard is better in any case. It has the latest version Bluetooth 5, your USB dongle has the older Bluetooth 4.0.