Question My computer screens go black while gaming or video editing and the PC restart ?

Sep 8, 2022
So Ive been having trouble with my PC lately where when I game or now video editing the PC goes to black and restarts. Ive finally been able to recreate the problem. So with the AIO installed on the processor the CPU never goes above 50 C and the GPU stays below 70 C, but then when im playing the screen goes black within 10-30 minutes and the pc just starts. nothing pops up in event viewer for why it shut down randomly no critical messages or warning about the time of unexpected shut down for many games too not just warzone. But ive finally been able to recreate the event when I was editing in Premiere pro. Heres what happens, Im editing and the screens go black or to power saving mode, then the PC freezes but the PC never loses power, and then restarts but all the lights stay on and the motherboard goes from A0 to the start up sequence with out losing power. The CPU was about 35 C and the GPU was about or less than 60 C.

First system specs, history when this began then trouble shooting ive done.

System Specs with buy date:

Processor: Intel Core i9-11900K - Core i9 11th Gen Rocket Lake 8-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1200 125W Intel UHD Graphics 750 Desktop Processor - BX8070811900K (bought 6/18/2022)
AIO Processor cooling: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm Liquid Cooler with LCD Display - Black (bought 6/17/2022)
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity OC 24GB GDDR6X 384-bit 19.5 Gbps PCIE 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card, IceStorm 2.0 Advanced Cooling, SPECTRA 2.0 RGB Lighting, ZT-A30900J-10P (bought 4/08/2021)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 P+ 220-PP-1300-X1 1300 W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply (bought 6/10/2022)
RAM: (4x) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTZR (bought 10/8/2020)
Mother Board: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING LGA 1200 (Intel 10th Gen) Intel Z490 (WiFi 6) SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard (14+2 Power Stages, DDR4 4600, Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet, Bluetooth v5.1, Dual M.2 and AURA Sync) (10/8/2020)
Storage: 1x WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS200T2B0B Main load (bought 10/20/2021)
Case: Cougar Panzer Max-G Black ATX Full Tower Gaming Case with 2 fans on front and 3 on top one in back. (bought 10/8/2020

History when the problem started happening:

I was asking about the performance of my rig on reddit and it was running WARZONE on full specs in 4k with a 850w power supply and a
Intel Core i9-10850KA Comet Lake 10-Core 3.6 GHz LGA1200 125W Desktop Processor w/ Intel UHD Graphics 630 ) - BX8070110850KA and a
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler, SF120R RGB Fan, 4 CD 2.0 Heatpipes, Anodized Gun-Metal Black, RGB Lighting for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151 LGA 1700 Compatible heat sink. I noticed it was getting about 85 C on one either the CPU or GPU. So i went to the forums and someone said I was way underpowered and way to hot. So I decided to upgrade. I bought the new power supply you see above and a large fanned heat sink. I got the parts in and installed the Power supply but the double fanned heat sink was way too big. So i just decided to put the old heat sink back on for the time being and order an AIO and just deal with it. The PC ran just fine and ran everything good. Mind you I always clean it with 99% isopropyl Alcohol and where brang new Mitrile Gloves each time. Error one on my part: The PC lights up after installing the old heat sink but nothing happens with the so I go to the forums and think its a bad CPU. I order a the New CPU that you see above and install it and realized that I was a dumb nut and the motherboard power supply was slighty loose and not fully connected which was causing that problem. The AIO and Processor the you see above come in at the same time, so I figured why not install them both, so I do with the stock AIO thermal paste untouched and install it. I check all the connections and everything is secure. The PC starts up and everything works just fine, until I start to game and then it does what I say above. I can do normal tasks on the computer like zoom, chrome and work but when I game or now that I discovered that video editing causes the problem it does what I described above.

Troubleshooting steps tried:

• DDU the grapics card drivers and update
  • windows 10 is updated
  • all drivers are updated
  • check event viewer and no errors
  • RAM check with no errors
  • Check each RAM one by one
  • Reseated the GPU in a different slot
  • Windows full clean
  • all connection check

So sorry for the long story but just wanted to give you all a very detailed story of how or why it happened. Im trying to narrow it down between the new PSU, GPU, RAM or Processor

Any help would be very thankful and appreciated

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What i suspect, is GPU transient power spikes, that, for some reason, your 1.3kW EVGA unit doesn't like.

You said that you had 850W unit before. Did you ran your RTX 3090 off from that 850W unit? If so, might want to try with 850W unit and look how your build then fares.

Btw, when you can boot to OS (which you can), CPU and MoBo are fine.

Oh, both CPUs, i9-10850K and i9-11900K are 125W chips, so, if you had RTX 3090 running off from 850W unit before, it should be able to do so again, since power level wise, nothing hasn't changed (except AIO pump and perhaps few more fans, which, at total, add ~30W, if even that).

Sep 8, 2022
What i suspect, is GPU transient power spikes, that, for some reason, your 1.3kW EVGA unit doesn't like.

You said that you had 850W unit before. Did you ran your RTX 3090 off from that 850W unit? If so, might want to try with 850W unit and look how your build then fares.

Btw, when you can boot to OS (which you can), CPU and MoBo are fine.

Oh, both CPUs, i9-10850K and i9-11900K are 125W chips, so, if you had RTX 3090 running off from 850W unit before, it should be able to do so again, since power level wise, nothing hasn't changed (except AIO pump and perhaps few more fans, which, at total, add ~30W, if even that).

Im starting to think it is the GPU as well. and yes the 3090 ran off the 850 unit no problem since i got it in 2021 full specs on any game. Ive never over clocked this machine fyi. yeah it got a bit hot but I did so much gaming and no problem for a year during COVID but this particular incident is where everything went wrong. Ive run the GPU with 4x>2x8 connectors see pic below

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
see pic below

No pic is seen.

and yes the 3090 ran off the 850 unit no problem

1.3kW unit should be more than enough for GPU transient power spikes, which can hit 2-3 times what your GPU is rated for. You have 350W GPU btw. Now, it is possible that something in that EVGA unit doesn't like the sudden power spikes, most likely too tightly tuned protection, which sees the GPU transient power spike as deviation from the norm, thus rebooting your system.

Now, while the GPU produces transient power spikes (all GPUs do), it's the PSU's fault of not being capable of handling it. So, do try with 850W unit if you still have it. If not, look towards new PSU, e.g Seasonic PRIME or Corsair HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 1kW range (just to be safe).

Sep 8, 2022
No pic is seen.

1.3kW unit should be more than enough for GPU transient power spikes, which can hit 2-3 times what your GPU is rated for. You have 350W GPU btw. Now, it is possible that something in that EVGA unit doesn't like the sudden power spikes, most likely too tightly tuned protection, which sees the GPU transient power spike as deviation from the norm, thus rebooting your system.

Now, while the GPU produces transient power spikes (all GPUs do), it's the PSU's fault of not being capable of handling it. So, do try with 850W unit if you still have it. If not, look towards new PSU, e.g Seasonic PRIME or Corsair HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 1kW range (just to be safe).
No pic is seen.

Install my old 850w PSU power supply because I keep my PC parts and am a hoarder like that. Ill let you know the results after a while

Sep 8, 2022
Failure after a while smacks of a heat problem.
It could be cpu, gpu, or motherboard vrm.
How is the aio radiator mounted?
In front or top?

You say the problem happened lately.
What might have changed since all was well?

my AIO is installed on the CPU and its 2 fans on the front of my mount with the radiator. I just put my last 850 PSU to see if thats the problem. I will let you know the results. I still have my 10850 CPU so if its not the PSU I can try putting that on. Ill let you know the results of the PSU change.

Sep 8, 2022
Don't forget to switch out PSU cables as well, since PSUs have different pinout (PSU side), and you can fry your hardware if you keep power cables same, between PSUs.
Of course. Installed the old PSU with the cables and tried gaming and it did the same thing. So that eliminates the PSU. I was thinking I installed the AIO and the new Processor 10900 at the same time and that was when the problem really started. When I saw the heat sink I bought was too large I put the old heat sink back in with the old processor. Then I was having trouble because Im a dummy and the motherboard connection was a bit loose. I thought it was the processor so I ordered the new one, and then when I found the motherboard cable was loose I had the part and figured why not install the new processor as well. Ill put the old processor 10850 in and let you know the results. with gloves and proper cleaning and thermal paste of course

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
brang new Mitrile Gloves each time

Regarding those;

Are nitrile gloves anti-static?

Not all nitrile gloves are anti-static. However, where ESD could lead to physical harm or damage to products and components, nitrile is often the preferred choice. As natural rubber latex is an insulator, it has precisely the opposite properties for those required in ESD applications. Nitrile gloves, on the other hand, are generally less static insulative than their latex counterparts, meaning that they are less likely to result in ESD. The risk is still there, however, which is why manufactures, including Unigloves, have developed anti-static glove varieties with lower surface resistance, to reduce the risk of ESD and keep both hands and materials safe from harm.
Source: https://info.unigloves.co.uk/blog/are-nitrile-gloves-anti-static

I, personally, don't use any gloves when handling my PC hardware (nor i do know anyone who does). To avoid ESD, i touch the metal radiator of the central heating system in my home, to ground myself. Same can be achieved when touching PSU when it is plugged into the mains (or metal part of the PC case, when PSU is in it and is plugged to the mains).

--

Oh, for testing, it is easier when your breadboard your MoBo. Meaning that you pull it out of PC case and put it on any cardboard box. <- This way, it's far easier to switch out components.

It should look similar to this:
(my Skylake build breadboarded, just after i bought it)

IzNDS0s.jpg